11

cttro

~

"Ever since Atsumu returned home, the house had never known silence," Osamu sighed heavily, his hands molding the rice with a sense of weariness. Rintarou sat beside him, his eyes downcast, shrugging in response.

"I heard that!" Atsumu's voice echoed from the kitchen. "Samu, you asshole!"

Osamu grinned, his eyes sparkling mischievously. "See what I mean?"

Atsumu, who had just finished cleaning the vegetables, pouted as he took his seat beside Aran. "You guys are so mean!"

"It's the truth, Atsumu. Stop sulking," Rintarou retorted, his voice laced with a hint of exasperation.

Aran nodded briskly, agreeing with Rintarou's statement. "So, where's that brat? I still can't believe she's back. I mean, what happened before is just... so messed up."

"Well, who knows..." Osamu sliced the onions with determination, his hands moving with practiced precision. "Maybe someone made her realize something more important..."

Atsumu chimed in, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "And that someone unfortunately ain't good terms with her anymore."  

Osamu shot Atsumu a disapproving look. "That is uncalled for, Tsumu." 

"What? I'm not wrong." Atsumu defended himself, crossing his arms stubbornly.

"Who?" Aran asked, curiosity evident in his voice.

Atsumu replied to Aran who was still confused. "Someday, you'll find out," he says, flashing a cheeky smile.

Rintarou leaned back, his eyes fixed on the ceiling as he let out a deep sigh. "It's not our place to judge. Whatever happened between them, it's their own story to tell."

~

Etsuko yawned, her hand instinctively covering her mouth as she rode along the quiet road. The only sounds that reached her ears were the gentle rustling of leaves and the melodic symphony of nature. Atsumu was nowhere to be found. Finally, silence.

A sense of awe washed over Etsuko as she gazed at the vast expanse of rice fields, stretching out in all directions which Kita's family own. "Damn, his place never ceases to amaze me," Etsuko remarked. Kita's house is at the end of this long path.

As Etsuko caught sight of the familiar house, a smile tugged at her lips. She couldn't quite pinpoint where her sudden surge of courage came from, but she felt truly at home in this moment.

She dismounted her bicycle, pulling off her helmet and running her fingers through her hair. She glanced at the wing mirror, ensuring she looked presentable. With the keys safely tucked in her pocket, she took a deep breath. "Let's do this."

Etsuko walked slowly towards the grand, old Japanese house. As she strolled, memories flooded her mind, each step evoking a sense of nostalgia. Lost in her thoughts, a hand suddenly landed on her shoulder, causing her to squeal and stumble into the mud.

"Oh, Etsu, dear, I'm so sorry if I startled you," a wrinkled old lady approached, extending a hand to help Etsuko up.

"No, no, Grandma. I'm okay!" Etsuko awkwardly laughed, gesturing for her to stay put. "Please, don't worry. I wouldn't want you to get hurt." Etsuko offered a reassuring smile, though her backside throbbed with pain.

The old woman smiled knowingly, observing the young lady's struggle to stand on the slippery mud.

Etsuko's balance faltered once more, and she found herself sitting in the mud again. The old woman chuckled, finding amusement in the sight of Etsuko covered in mud.

Honestly, what is the matter with me? I've been slipping countless of times. How embarrassing. I wish the ground would swallow me whole.

"Yumie Grandma, please stop laughing at me. It's embarrassing," Etsuko giggled, attempting to wipe the mud off her face with her arms, only to make matters worse as it smeared across her cheeks and lips.

"You look like a panda, sweetie," Yumie Kita laughed, the sunlight casting a warm glow on her face, accentuating her beauty.

Etsuko wished she could capture that radiant smile forever. There is just something about old people's face that makes your heart calm.

"Grandma, who are you talking to?" a man's voice came from behind Etsuko.

In that moment, Etsuko felt a sudden surge of emotions. She wasn't ready to see him again.