12

cttro

~

"Thank you for letting me use your bathroom, grandma," Etsuko bowed respectfully to the elder, her voice filled with gratitude. "And for letting me use your clothes," she added with a slightly awkward laugh, her gaze scanning the garments wrapped around her body.

Etsuko was wearing a plain white shirt paired with a floral skirt that reached her ankles. The simple ensemble gave her the appearance of a nurturing housewife, a vision of warmth and comfort.

Kita's grandma had not only welcomed her into her home but had also assisted in drying her hair and washing her muddy clothes, which now hung outside. Etsuko pondered whether to wait for the clothes to dry or head home.

"Anytime, sweetheart," Yumie Kita smiled, her joy evident in the wide curve of her lips.

Her words tugged at Etsuko's heart, reminding her of the love and care she had received from her own grandmother. A sudden urge to reach out and express her affection overwhelmed her.

God, I suddenly want to text my grandmother and tell her I love her.

Etsuko had initially insisted on going home to change and return at a later time, her usual tendency to retreat and escape taking hold. However, Kita's grandma had a way of looking at her, reminiscent of a small, cute puppy. With a simple "Stay here, Etsuko," she had cast a spell, and now Etsuko found herself sitting in front of Kita's house, indulging in a bunch of onigiris that she, Osamu, and Atsumu had made the previous night.

"White looks good on you, my dear Etsuko. Everything looks good on you," Yumie Kita complimented, her eyes sparkling with warmth. Just then, Kita appeared, holding a tray of drinks. "Right, Shinsuke?" Yumie Kita turned to her grandson.

Shinsuke didn't answer immediately. He placed the tray on the table, serving a cup of green tea to Yumie grandma and a glass of milk for Etsuko before finally responding, his gaze meeting Etsuko's.

He remembered... Thoughts rattled through Etsuko's mind, a mix of emotions swirling within her.

"Oh, you don't drink tea, Etsuko?" the elder asked, her voice filled with curiosity.

Etsuko let out an awkward laugh, her words stumbling out. "Ugh... Yes," she stammered, scratching the back of her neck.

"Etsuko prefers eating onigiris with milk," Shinsuke added confidently, as if he knew everything about her. Well, in a way, he did. After all, she was his past lover.

"Oh! So that's why!" the old lady exclaimed, blinking slowly as if a realization had just dawned upon her. "My grandson still remembers the little details about you! Isn't that nice?" Yumie grandma cheered and applauded, her bright smile beaming with delight.

"You're enjoying this, grandma," Shinsuke said as he took a seat beside his grandmother, a gentle smile gracing his lips. "Etsuko might feel uncomfortable."

He rested his hand on his lap, his gaze shifting between Etsuko and his grandmother.

"Did I make you uncomfortable?" Yumie grandma asked, her eyes fixed on Etsuko. "I'm truly sorry, sweetheart. I just really missed you. You're like a granddaughter to me." Yumie grandma reached out, cupping Etsuko's face in her hands.

Touched by her words, Etsuko felt tears welling up in her eyes. She tried to compose herself, sniffling and giggling amidst her sobs. God, I really missed my grandma. "I'm fine, I'm fine," she reassured them, her voice quivering with emotion. "Thank you, grandma."

The three of them continued to talk, or rather, Yumie grandma and Etsuko did most of the talking while Shinsuke sat there, listening attentively.

Etsuko poured her heart out, sharing everything that had happened to her during her time in Tokyo and how she had struggled to live on her own. Yumie grandma asked about the twins, and Etsuko excitedly expressed her love for the brothers' cooking.