7. rules

It was blatantly obvious The Picket Fence wasn't your typical small, upcoming local band. When we arrived at the venue we were told there were no tickets available for purchase at the door.

"But we have to get in there," I demanded, for no particular reason other than, one: it was Friday night and I'd actually put on pants in preparation for socialising. And two: I didn't appreciate the security guard's bad attitude.

"Sorry," he smiled smugly, "You shoulda bought tickets online last week like all the other fangirls... and fanboys."

Olivia grabbed my arm. "Let's just go to a club," she said. "Shots and dancing, it will be fun!" Her short black dress would have been more appropriate for a night club but I wasn't giving up without a fight. I was stubborn like that.

"Please... it's my brother's band. I've driven home from university for the weekend and I want to surprise him by coming to his show," I lied through my teeth to the security guard. He let out a soft chuckle and for a moment, I thought he was going to let us in.

"That's a really touching story, but they're an all girl band. If you don't have a ticket, you're not getting in." He gestured to the group of people behind us in the cue, "Next."

I was just beginning to consider Olivia's plan of abandoning the gig and going to a club instead when I spotted Grunge's old bandmate, Wally, standing in front of the other entrance. He came into the store from time to time and luckily for me, he thought I was both sassy and adorable.

"Wally," I waved, jumping a little so he'd be able to see my face. He smiled when he saw me and I took Olivia's arm, dragging her through the crowd to other entrance.

"I hope Grunge hasn't been working you too hard."

"Not at all," I smiled sweetly at the robust man. No sass tonight, I was in too much of a rush to get inside. "I'm sorry to be a pest, it's just The Picket Fence is Olivia's favourite band and we had a mix up with the tickets... do you think you can get us in?"

Wally chuckled, his big belly jumping softly in the process, "How can I say no to you?" He stamped both of our hands and we finally passed the magic threshold into the bar where we were apparently going to get treated to a show by not just a girl band, but a girl band that managed to sell out an entire venue.

"How great is this?" I said to Olivia when we finally managed to find a spot to stand. There were so many people crammed into the small space, it was impossible not to breathe in the sweat of everyone around us. What's a bit of body odour between strangers, hey?

"This is," Olivia's face was twisted with disgust. "Great," she finished, forcing a grin that could almost make me believe that she wasn't lying her ass off. That's my girl.

"Tell you what," I leaned over, shouting above the pre-show music. "I won't even get mad if you ditch me after this to go to Oliver's. Although, you'll probably want to shower before you jump his bones."

"No need," she shook her head. "He's meeting us here."

"He won't be able to get in," I yelled back just as the music jumped to a new level of volume. The show was about to start.

"What?"

"He. Won't. Be. Able. To. Get. In. Without. A. Ticket," I tried to annunciate best I could but the sound was too heavy in the small space. Olivia just shrugged. Forget it, we'd worry about that later.

Two songs in, I could see why The Picket Fence had sold out the venue. All three girls were extremely talented and their stage presence - excuse the pun - rocked. They were perhaps a touch too indie for my personal taste but there was no doubting their talent.