38.

I was sorting through invoices and utility bills when a familiar voice manifested itself behind me. "Since when do you trust Louis enough to stay out front by himself?"

I spun on my heels, turning to see Luke leaning against the doorway. My arms  flung around him as I ignored his question entirely. "You're back!" 

His body felt different as I hugged him. I didn't know why. It felt like he'd grown taller or something. I stepped back to look at him properly. "Look at your beard!" I was laughing. Who knew why. There was so much nervous energy running through me right now.

Luke didn't answer. He just hugged me again. "God, I missed you, Stel." Stel. I missed him calling me that. I was about to tell him that I missed him too but he spoke again, his voice all low and vulnerable: "Next time we tour, can I take you with me?"

My stomach lurched. We needed to have a serious conversation. I pushed the dread back down and looked into Luke's blue eyes. There'd be time for a serious talk later. First I wanted to hear about the tour. "I can finish up early and we can go grab a drink if you want. Do you have plans for this afternoon?"

Luke smiled. "I have to go see Mum first, but then I'm all yours."

"You came straight here?" I was smiling too. I'd missed this smile. It was a special one that my face somehow reserved just for when Luke was around.

He laced his fingers through mine, nodding. "Like I said, I missed you." My stomach twisted over on itself. I realised how much I'd missed him too.

Luke was gone as quick as he'd come. Grunge walked in not long after. He had the biggest grin on his face, skimming over details of the tour. "They're good kids," he said, referring to the band. "You picked a good one." I haven't picked anyone, I wanted to scream, instead shifting the focus to Louis. He'd been a big help around here while Grunge had been away which is exactly what I said.

"You should take the afternoon off," Grunge said. "Louis and I can finish up here." Before I left, Grunge said that there was something important he wanted to talk to me about tomorrow. Get in line, I wanted to tell him.

I was getting ready to meet Luke when I got a message from Harry about dropping over some documents from Pilot Records. Why don't you just drop it off at the store? I texted back.

Harry: Because then you'd be able to keep avoiding me ;)

Me: I'm not avoiding you!

Harry: I'm kidding. I said I'd give you your space. I just miss you

Harry: I promise it will be a strictly professional visit

Strictly professional. As in, an encounter that wouldn't end in us tearing each others clothes off, which is what happened the last time I saw Harry. It was a few days after the stomach bug debacle. He'd come over with vegetarian nachos and a bottle of wine.

I couldn't even explain how it happened. One minute, he's asking if I'd like organic guacamole on my nachos, and the next he's got me pinned against the wall, and I'm dragging him to bed. Then we're both sweaty and breathless and wrapping ourselves in bedsheets to devour the nachos on the lounge room floor. And then somehow we wound up having sex again.

It was Harry who suggested he give me space. It was clear I couldn't sift through my feelings when he was around. I needed complete solitude to mull things over and be honest with myself, is going about as terribly as you'd expect.

Olivia wasn't very helpful. Her advice was just to enjoy them both. And Aunt Peg was out at a luncheon with some of the ladies from her latin dancing class, so even if I was desperate enough for her advice, I couldn't talk to her today anyway.

I'd found myself in a predicament I'd never have thought possible: I was falling in love with two different boys.

I was still standing in my towel pondering all of this when Luke called. He was on his way over. Wasting no more time, I threw on a pair of jeans and a plain white t-shirt. The doorbell rang a few minutes later.

It was Harry. Manila folder in his hands, shirt typically held together with two buttons. "Stella," he greeted me. "The documents as promised."

"Thank you." I invited him in. There was no reason not to, other than the obvious one: Luke would be here any moment. Oh, and the fact that Harry's fingers had only just brushed mine as he passed me the folder and my body seemed to react in all the places those fingers had touched previously.

"I'm actually on my way out." I tried to be polite but firm.

"Oh?" He licked his bottom lip.

Ignore it, I told myself. Don't even think about his mouth. "With Luke. I want to hear about the tour."

A deep frown set into his forehead. "Of course."

Don't frown, I thought as my phone rang. It does nothing for my hormones. I was greeted with a foreign voice when I answered the phone: "Is this Stella?" The doorbell rang. "Yes, this is she." Harry opened the door before I could. "This is Doctor Horan at Whiting General Hospital. You're listed as the emergency contact for your aunt, Margaret Ashford - "

Everything stopped. "Aunty Peg? What happened? Is she okay?"

"She fainted this afternoon but she's okay now." The doctors voice was kind. He didn't sound worried, but why would he be? He dealt with surgery and heart attacks all day long. A little fainting was probably no big deal to him. It was a big deal to me.

"I'll be right there. I'm coming right now."

Harry and Luke stood there, their opposite features somehow wore a matching concerned frown. "Is everything okay?"

"Aunty Peg, she's at the hospital. I have to go."

Harry spoke. "I'll come with you."

Luke added, "Me too."

"I'll drive." Harry offered.

"I can drive. My cars still running."

Harry frowned at Luke. "You left your car running? Don't you care about the environment?"

"I don't think a few minutes is going to make much different to the environment." Luke looked angry.

Harry in his usual gentle voice of reason added, "In ten minutes your car releases up to one pound of carbon dioxide."

"Well we can't all be long-haired hippies who - "

"You two stay here and argue," I said, cutting off Luke's disgruntled argument. "I'm going to the hospital."

"I'll come with you." They both said as one. Luke glared at Harry. Harry stretched out to place a hand on my shoulder. "You shouldn't go alone," he said gently.

"I want to go alone," I pressed. As noble as their intentions may be, they were wasting time. "I'll talk to you guys later." 

The Middle | Hemmings + Styles AUOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara