12. she's into drummers

"Ringo and Penny Lane look very happy with their new home," I announced after we'd finished setting up the fish tank.

A tank that took forever to pick out, I might add. Luke had wanted a six-foot aquarium tank which was absurd given that Ringo was approximately three centimetres long.

"He's a goldfish, not a shark," I'd told him. "What if he wants to have guests over? He needs the extra space," Luke argued, until I hinted that he must be trying to over compensate for something. Then he shut up and we agreed on a small tank that came with a timber stand.

"You're naming her Penny Lane?" he asked, still standing in front of the fish tank. I was now sitting on the edge of the couch, watching the two fish make themselves at home.

"I thought I'd keep it within your chosen Beatles theme."

"Stel - " he began, but I moved my gaze back to the small fish tank where both were swimming amongst the plants and white pebbles. It was a relief to see Ringo actually swimming, he'd looked a little off this afternoon.

"He looks happy."

"Penny looks smitten," he said. I could still feel his eyes on me.

"And Stella feels hungry," I laughed, turning my attention back to Luke. "Do you feel like pizza?"

He finally sat down, still keeping a fair bit of distance between us, "I always feel like pizza." He picked up one of the cushions between his hands, "You know, if you wanted to have dinner with me, you could have just asked."

"Yeah, but then I wouldn't have got to see your face light up at the word pizza," I giggled. I loved the way we always seemed to mock each other, twisting our past conversations into private jokes.

"You're a dork," he said, throwing the cushion at me which I caught between my hands. I used to play netball back in school, and my reflexes were still pretty quick.

"And you just lost yourself one slice of pizza. Keep it up, Hemmings, and you'll go home hungry."

We'd not long ordered the pizza when the doorbell rang. I looked at Luke who was still paying attention to the 10 Most Requested Videos segment playing on Channel V. I'd stopped focusing when Shake It Off made the cut again.

Grabbing my purse to pay the world's fastest delivery guy, I opened the door and immediately felt disappointed and terrified. Disappointed because my dinner wasn't here yet, and terrified because Aunty Peg was.

She greeted me with a kiss either side of my cheek. "Don't just stand there. It's freezing out here."

"Did we have plans?" I asked, barely budging out of the doorway. I was hoping to stall a while longer.

"No," she shook her head. "I just wanted to check in. I haven't heard from you much this week."

Aunty Peg pushed past me and walked straight into the living room. Luke noticed her immediately and stood up.

"And who do we have here?"

"I'm Luke," he gave her a small wave. Aunty Peg wasn't one for small gestures, though. She wrapped her arms around his body that stood much taller than her own, and pulled him into a tight hug like she had known him for years.

"I'm Margaret, but call me Peg, or Aunty Peg. Stelly has told me so much about you," she beamed up at him, looking completely taken by him.

"Ah, no I haven't." And when, in my whole entire life, have you ever called me Stelly?!