||18|| Risks Taken

I thought this chapter could use a song: "Sorry" by Halsey

***

//I'm sorry to my unknown lover//

//sorry that I cant believe that anybody ever really starts to fall in love with me//

***

August POV

"August!"

Throbbing pulses at my temples were sent throughout my head as I batted my eyes open. I haven't been this drunk in years. I'm even beginning to imagine Oakley's fucking voice. She isn't even here.

Putting my hand on my head, I slowly lift from the floor, no idea where I was. But soon realized it was on my kitchen floor. The room began to spin and warp.

Fuck.

I had left the sanctuary nearly an hour after Oakley did and requested that no one bothered me and drank—I can't remember how many—bottles from the cabinet. I had come back here to my apartment and started on my own bottles of alcohol. Everything after that is blank.

"August!"

There it was again. Her voice. And this time it was clear, too clear to be a figure of my imagination.

I turned around, pulled out the gun that was under the waist of my jeans, and began walking towards the direction her voice came from.

"Oakley?" I called out to her.

Has someone broken into the apartment? Is she endanger? What if someone is pretending to be her, trapping me? But I know her voice, that of an angel's. And that was my Oakley.

Or maybe I'm just that drunk and it's all in my head. But I couldn't take the chances.

"Oakley, where are you!"

My mind raced with possible scenarios until a heart-wrenching scream echoed through the walls of my house. My breath halted and my feet began moving down the hall.

Oakley's voice came from behind my door, her screams and cries tearing through my heart, the alcohol no longer taking an effect on me.

I tried the knob but it was locked. Quickly, I pressed my ring against the lock and it clicked open. It was made only for emergencies, like this one.

The muffled screams became clear as the door opened, stopping only a foot in the room.

"Oakley?" I called out again, my eyes searching the room for any sign of a threat.

I looked down at what stopped the door and there she was, balled up on the floor of my room, her hands wrapped around herself, tears covering her face. Relief flooded my veins as I quickly slipped through the door and dropped to the floor.

She let out another shout, "Please, August, can you hear me?" She cried as I dropped the gun on the floor and gripped at her arm. She was burning, covered in sweat but trembling like the room was an icebox. She was dreaming. About... me?

"I hear you," I said, fighting against her struggling, pulling her into my lap, "Oakley, wake up!" I cupped her rosy cheeks, her neck stretching to get out of my hold. I shook her shoulders, holding her close to me.

And with that, her eyes shot open, panting in my arms, her wet eyes searching mine.

"August?" She wept, her deep green eyes looking up at me. I let out a deep sigh and rubbed my thumb on her cheekbone.