Spring Blooms 3

It appeared the day was not yet going to be over for Arata as there was more work to be done. He didn't mind helping out on other people's gardens, provided he was paid for his services. The other girls were also cool with this, Matsu most of all. After all, she was now able to spend more time with Arata. But it wasn't simply just being in his presence that made her excited. No, that would be rather tame if that were the case.

It was more like, her friends were going to help force the issue by getting the two to be together. As in, very close to one another in terms of physical proximity. Not that he didn't see that coming. This was a girl who was still waiting upon his answer on his own feelings for her.

"Here, let me help you." She said as the pair worked on Monju's garden area. The old lady didn't have much in the way of workable land for them to plant seeds. Though this wasn't going to prevent either of them from trying their best. However, the way one would define 'their best' would be different depending on who they were talking about. Arata was trying to think of a way to give a proper balance so that they'd all grow up to be beautiful. Meanwhile, Matsu was taking advantage of the small space for her own desires.

"Thanks." He said, not blind to how she was leaning atop of him. She was getting really close to the boy now, that even just slightly looking up gave him a view of her cute face. This girl really was a gem in terms of appearances. Not to mention that their distance also gave way to allow him to smell her own scent over that of nature. Obviously she was trying to impress him, so the smell of perfume that tickled his nose was quite nice.

Being that this was after school, they were all in school uniforms. While Arata had his own chance to change when at home, the boy never did it as it was a waste of time. Especially since it would just get his home clothes dirty, so why not use his uniform which was already was worn during the school day?

However, the more important point here is that she was also still wearing her own uniform. He had never given much thought about what the girls of his school wore during classes until a few months ago. Whoever designed this school's uniforms did a wonderful job making something that made those who were already attractive even more alluring. There may be boys that thought Matsu was lacking in a few physical areas, which turned them off of her. Or at the least, caused them to pay little attention to her.

It was their loss. She was someone he found to be so adorable, like a girl he'd read about in a manga. Maybe it was due to his own tastes, but she was truly a girl that he'd say was his type. No wonder the other girls were pushing so hard during this moment. What they were doing had to be their way of getting into his head that Matsu was the one for him. Even Arata would agree when he thought about it, but his heart couldn't feel that supposed feeling of love when he was with her. Was it because... He couldn't view her as anything more than a friend?

"Hey, who's in there?" Matsu pointed out as they worked together. She was above him, so the boy was unable to see what she was looking at from his position.

"Ah, that's my good-for-nothing grandson." Monju answered. From the way her tone sounded, it seemed she held some disdain for that kid, who looked a lot to be around Arata's and Matsu's age. "He's just moved in, but that kid's is really so depressing."

"A shame that he's not coming out to help us." Said Arata. "But, I guess we can't force him if he doesn't want to." Given the times he was currently in, he wasn't exactly going around looking for people to give aid to. Not with all the complications of his current life.

"Done!" After some working, the pair were completed with their tasks. There wasn't that much work to be done at this early portion of the season. Once the seeds were planted and watered, that really was all there was to it until the following week. "We should-" Matsu was going to offer that they head over to the others. Since they appeared to be done early, surely some help would be appreciated. However, in her excitement, she forgot Arata was still crouched next to her. So when she stepped over to move to her planned destination, the girl ended up tripping all over him.

She tumbled on down, with him falling over backwards to keep her from face planting onto the cemented walkway. This had the effect of her falling atop of him as they laid about on the ground. Their faces nearly hit each other from her fall, but she was able to save it before causing any harm. That left them to be on the ground staring at each other right in the eyes.

It seemed in the heat of the moment, she was unable to stop herself. The girl had the high position, so she ended up giving Arata a passionate kiss on the lips. She caught him off guard by doing so, which caused the boy to push her off with a little bit too much force in a panic.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." He apologized quickly as he got up to see her fallen over on her back this time. "It's just that..."

"No..." She stopped him. Her voice lost all the energy it had from just moments ago. Matsu sounded rather disappointed with how things had turned out as she slowly got up by herself.

"Are you all right?" Hanaka and the others came running up to her. They were just about finished with their jobs when they saw what happened. "You're not hurt, are you?"

"Why'd you push her like that?" Karino had some harsh words sent Arata's way

"I'm sorry, it's just that she..." He was unable to find the words to defend himself. To say out loud that Matsu kissed him the way she did, it caused the boy to get a little scared.

"It looks like we're all done here." Matsu seemed to be able to speak somewhat normally now. Though this would be normal by most other people's standards, not hers. "I want to go home now."

"Wait..." He tried to stop her, but the glares sent by her other friends put an end to his attempts. They were quite frightening with the way their hate was given to him. "I didn't mean to..." The girls walked away from the scene, leaving Arata all alone with the elders.

"Well, that certainly could've gone better." Said Asasuzu. "I imagine that you'd certainly wish for a do over."

"Hey, don't let it get you too down." Gouzaburou knelt down and rested a hand atop one of the boy's shoulders. "I'm sure she'll start feeling better about things in no time."

"You really are one idiot boy, aren't you?" Monju was less nicer than the other two.

"I hate to agree with her, but she's right." Hine also sided with the mean granny this time around as well. "You keep trying to hold back, and all that ends up doing is breaking their hearts even more."

"I just don't know how to feel about her." Arata was confused about what he should say about Matsu. She seemed to be one of the most perfect girls he knew. Someone like her would make for a good girlfriend, but he struggled to feel that way in his heart. "It doesn't make any sense to me."

"Maybe because you're trying to make too much sense out of it." Hine told him. "I didn't give you that ring just so that you'd use a checklist to decide if a girl was worth your time."

"I guess you're right." She had a good point he couldn't deny. Though that still didn't help the boy in finding out how to make a good decision then. "But, how could I say her over anyone else?"

"Why don't you ask why she's important to you?" She gave him something to chew on to answer his question. "My husband, he never once thought about what made me good for him. He told me that it was because he couldn't fathom spending one day without me."

"A day without Matsu?" Arata took the time to consider how different his life would be without her. She was always the one to bring about sunshine to his day. After all, how could one resist that cute face and smile. The girl was also the one he never had to help. Instead, it was her who showed up when he needed someone the most. Such as when he got angry with Erina and had to leave the others for a while. It was that girl from the gardening club who wanted to be with him still.

Then, he remembered when they first met again at the park that fateful day when a child went missing. What she said to him, when he thought she was being ridiculous about tracking him down just because he stood up against some bullies for her. Matsu told him that he was truly a good person, and that she'd do anything to show him that. This girl was the only person in the whole world outside his family who still had faith in him. "..." Slowly, Arata got up from the ground. "I know what to do now."