We Always Come Back Here

Charlie really wasn't sure if he would open his eyes... He thought that they would let him die down there foe his crimes. He served almost 18 years in prison already...

   "I know you're awake."

   Charlie groaned at the voice and opened his eyes. "Really? Cuz I didn't even know I was awake."

   "No need for the sarcasm." Rune frowned.

   "Where am I..?" Charlie asked sitting up and rubbing his head. He realized he could move his arms freely. No chains! He frowned and rubbed his wrists. On one he had a cuff with a green light but other than that... nothing. "What happened?"

   "You got shot."

   "No need for the sarcasm." Charlie quipped back. "After that dumbass."

   "Rude. You saved my life and now you want nothing to do with me."

   "Obviously we're even because you saved my life."

   "I guess that is true... But I also got you out of prison."

   "What."

   "Yup. I told Queen Rachel about what she did and she let you out on probation. You're kinda stuck in capital city for a while but at least it isn't the dungeon!"

   Charlie barely had time to process before the door opened.

   Cypher stepped in first followed by Maxwell, Matthew, and Karma.

   Charlie frowned shooting a glare at his older brother. He still didn't exactly enjoy Matthews presence... He did notice the bandages around his head though. Must've been a worse wound than he thought.

   "Uncle Charlie..?"

   Charlie blinked and looked away from his "perfect" brother. "What?"

   Max smiled. "Thank you for helping Rune save us! I really owe you one!"

   Charlie crossed his arms across his chest ignoring he slight pain. "I don't like seeing kids hurt."

   "Thank you anyway." Cypher muttered out not looking at Charlie. Charlie honestly didn't blame the kid.

   Matthew sighed. "Kids can I talk to Charlie in private?"

   All three went silent. "Alright dad..." Rune murmured snd headed out her brothers trailing after.

   "Call me if you need anything starlight." Karma pressed a kiss to Matthews cheek and followed his children.

   Matthew sighed. "Thank you."

   "I didn't do it for you." Charlie hissed.

   "I know. So who did you do it for..?" Matthew asked jumping to the point.

   Charlie went silent. He huffed and looked away. "Mom. I felt it when she died... And then she... I don't know appeared to me. She told me she loved me and then she disappeared. I probably imagined it."

   "You and her were close..."

   "Yeah..." Charlie sighed quietly. "Whatever. She's dead."

   "Charlie–"

   "Don't do that crap. You aren't mom!" Charlie snarled. "I want you gone. Leave me alone..."

   Matthew sighed. "Thank you anyway..." He turned to leave.

Charlie leaned into the hospital bed to think...