13 | I dedicate my pain to your name

"What are you doing here, kid ?"

"I... I don't know ?"

The young hybrid was shivering on the floor, draping himself weakly on the wall nearby trying to keep a certain balance. But he couldn't, as one of his hands was holding weakly a meagre wooden sword. Its handle was chipped, and etched into delicately were six letters : R A N B O O

"This is a dungeon, kid. Monsters roam here, mobs bigger and stronger than you", he kicked the hybrid with his foot, "You're all scrawny and defenseless. Half-enderman or not, they're going to eat you up."

"I don't...–"

He interrupted the half-enderman, "If it's going to be another succession of empty words, don't bother."

He straightened his back and took off his red cape, throwing it on the teenager. Quickly dusting off his hands, he held his trident, "Stay here. I have to raid this dungeon, I'll come back for you later. Don't move."

The voices were singing in his head, a song of blood and fire, with no rhythm whatsoever. His clawed hands were trembling slightly, the will to kill the hybrid too strong to ignore: what was one additional death, to his bloody arsenal ? But he couldn't waste more time, as he could already hear the foundations of the dungeon falling apart slowly.

<You're not going to find anything in here>

<Give up>

<Kill the kid, it's going to be more satisfying>

His head was once again full of voices, various noises that bounced around eternally. However, his eyes were focused and ears on full alert. He had a mission, and he wasn't going to disappoint anyone.

<Philza is already disappointed>

<A thousand years and still nothing ! Lame, loser, pathetic>

<Useless, incompetent>

These voices were ringing, a strident sound taking over his ears. They screamed for violence and retribution... for what ? Wasn't he the one who gave pain so freely ? Who went on rampages for the fun of it ? He bathed in the blood of innocents, and he never planned on stopping until he found what he's been searching for for the past two thousand years ? This dungeon was like any other dungeon, and yet, the half-enderman with bi-colored eyes couldn't escape from his mind. Why was a literal child sitting in a dungeon ?

<Every second you spend thinking about that orphan>

<Is a second lost in the search for (Y/N)>

<That's why she's dead and never coming back>

<F*cking useless maggot>

<Technoblade the Maggot>

He slaughtered every mob in the vicinity, enjoying every drop of blood that stuck on his white shirt, and finally arrived in the last room of the dungeon. Crying obsidian surrounded him, the ominous echo of each drop grounded him. He took a deep breath and began his frantic search through every chest he could find. His body took its original piglin form, towering over each chest, but hunching over itself. His nostrils flared angrily as each search proved futile, no book could be found in the room.

"F*ck !", he roared while throwing a random object against the wall.

Who cared about random trinkets ? Who cared about disks and potions ?

<Oh, is little Technoblade disappointed ?>

<You can't do anything correctly...>

<(Y/N) probably doesn't even want to be revived by someone as weak as you>

"Kid ! Follow me to the exit, the dungeon is collapsing."

They both ran to the stairs, the lanky limbs of the half-enderman hybrid aiding him in keeping up with the furious piglin-hybrid. Holding dearly onto his wooden sword, his books sat in security inside his pocket. He gazed in wonder and pure amazement at the man next to him -his savior-.

"Renboo, Ranboo... I don't care. You see that mountain over there ? Climb it, teleport over it, again I don't care. It is high enough for you to see where the Dream SMP is located, a government that will probably welcome you if your sob-story is convincing", he glared at him through his skull mask, his red eyes glinting and menacing, "Now listen. My name is Technoblade, and from now one you owe me a favour. I saved your life."

He released him and took back his cape, already turning around.

"Wait, sir ! I've got something that could interest you. I heard you mutter about the Aether and–", he struggled with the second book in his pocket before finally being able to pull it out, "Here's a book I found about i–"

He was immediately interrupted by the piglin-hybrid who snatched the book from his long fingers, "Not bad, kid... Now you only owe me a small request."

"So that wasn't enough ?"

"Kid, I'm the Blood God. Your puny tricks will never be enough for me."

But Technoblade knew, deep inside of him. Even the voices quieted down in light of this new discovery. He knew that (Y/N) was nearer than ever, and that was more than enough.

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌

"If you could wish for one thing, Toby, what would it be ?"

"For everything to go back to what it once was. When- when it used to be only us four, Philz, Wilbur, Tommy and I", he played with his fingers, "I had my beehives and I would collect honey for our meals. I'm good at baking, you know ? And we didn't care about 'lives' back then. We didn't care about survival or war. Our sole priority was each other's happiness. Dream called it codependency and made fun of me, but I don't care. As long as the people I love are happy, I don't care. Of course there's going to be dependency ! We can only count on each other..."

Tears were streaming down his face once again, "I miss them so much Lady Eden. It's only been a week, but I already miss them too much."

"Your physical body is probably recovering, since you lost your first life", she dusted off her white pants and stood up, and held out her hand to him expectantly, "Come on, let's go to the Archives. I've found a series of books that might interest you, Toby. I'll read them out to you, before you go. Perhaps I'll even lend one of them to you, when you get back to The Overworld."

His grip on her hand tightened, "My friends call me Tubbo."

"Do you regard me as a friend ?"

"Of course ! You saved my life, you–", he exhaled loudly, "No one ever held me to sleep like you did..."

"Then let's go, Tubbo."