18 | Do not stand at my grave and weep

She stared helplessly at the sky as every bone in her body snapped back into place. The clatter of her skeleton could not drown out the sound of the Overworld, a sound so unique in its intensity and beauty. She finally understood George's frustration with his immobility: it is hard to bear this lack of movement, when the world around us is so exciting. George wanted to explore the Aether, and she in turn wanted to discover the Overworld. She could only depend on her hearing, her eyes still too weakened by this cluster of new colours - the Aether was so clear, so pastel. It was meant to relax, to make one forget that death was now an eternal companion.

But the Overworld was all life and vibrancy! Resounding roars, crackling and delicate flows, life was omnipresent and dominated this world. The rushing of a passing stream of water or the footsteps of a nearby creature...

Footsteps?

From the time that separated each step, she could already assume that the legs of the said creature were relatively long. Very long indeed. A major problem was that these steps were approaching her ruined body.

She forced her body to regenerate faster, sent all possible signals, concentrated all her magic... but to no avail. For her body was trying, in spite of everything, to direct all its forces towards her wings -or what was left of them-. She too could not accept their disappearance, but denial was always a fabulous emotion. However, her body refused to accept it, and ever since they were ripped off, it had been continually trying to restore them.

She sighed, so be it, let this long-legged creature find her and devour her. At least, try to devour her. Lady Eden may have lost the foundation of her being, but she felt the magic coursing through her veins and was certain that the creature to be feared was her.

She used this last moment of respite to think. To think about her plan of action. She threw herself into the rush - and rage, anger, despair - with no real idea of what she was going to do. Was she going to keep her identity? Her name? More importantly, was she going to head for L'Manberg immediately?

Was she really going to make a difference by appearing in the middle of a presidential campaign?

The footsteps finally stopped and a meek voice resounded near her, "I don't think a leg should be bent like that, ma'am...", trembling hands came close to her face, "Can I help you ?"

"Please just–", she inhaled deeply, "Could you please just hold my hand ?"

She was a creature made of love, who thrived off it. She wasn't made to handle such pain by herself and if she had to rely on a stranger for it... so be it. However, she recognized that stranger. She heard that mature but timid before, and that particular skin tone...

"I like animals, you know ?"

"Pardon ?"

He was trying to distract her from the pain, and it was such a kind gesture.

"I really like animals, especially small ones. But they're all scared of my appearance. And I understand... if one day I met a person who looked like me, I would be terrified too. Nevertheless, I hope that I'll be able to have many pets in the near future," he tightened his grip on her hand in excitement, "Bunnies in particular ! I already have a name, it's Ranbunny– Oh my Notch please don't get up so quickly, here let me help you."

He steadied her body gently as she tried to straighten up. Her wounds may have healed, but she still felt pain everywhere, her whole body hurt. The stranger's hands accidentally touched the scars on her back, and she couldn't help but hiss.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't...", as he got a good look at what he felt, his voice wavered, "You used to have wings... Lady Eden ?"

"It's been a while, Ranboo."