Retirement

It was a starry night outside.

Alex Rider was sitting on the top of his roof, or rather the roof of his girlfriends apartment building. Alex, now 22 and retired from spying, lay flat on the bricks above his home.

Allison Standall was an American who studied in London her sophomore year of university. Alex was leaving his final meeting with Mrs. Jones and the majority of the government responsible for his grievances.

Ally was leaving her workplace, a clothing store, when Alex had knocked into her as he was slightly distracted by the man who just walked into the Royal and General. A man who was clearly an agent coming home from a mission. Something that Alex had become very familiar with.

The woman who Alex had knocked into dropped her bag, contents spilling out after. Alex bent down to help the young woman collect her stuff.

"I am so sorry," an 18 year old Alex apologizes repeatedly. The woman only smiles at him and gives a slight chuckle.

"It's fine," says the young, 19 year old American. "No harm done."

"I really am sorry miss," Alex apologizes again.

"Really, I'm fine-" the woman trails off.

"Alex," he introduces himself to her.

"I'm Allison, Ally," she replies to him while taking her stuff from him and placing the contents back into the purse. Alex continues to apologize, not knowing what else to do.

With a small laugh Ally says, "if you want to make it up to me that much I could go for a coffee right about now."

Alex took her for a cup and after that things started looking up.

Jack Starbright died in Kenya during a mission when Alex was a month shy of seventeen. After her death Alex lived on his own due to his persuasion with the government. He was still forced to go on missions as that was the deal for him living on his own. Tom took care of his house when he was gone. When he was home too for that matter because he wanted away from the arguments at his house. Or because he was worried and missed his best mate.

Alan Blunt finally retired when Alex was 18. Tulip Jones was then made the head of MI6. She offered Alex a choice.

"Alex, you have done more for this world than you could ever imagine. You've served your country well. I'm going to give you a choice," Mrs. Jones says while sitting behind the desk in her office.

"You can continue working for us, and revive more than an agent would for all that we have caused, we could set you up with a branch of the military, or you could go on your own. You're free now Alex, it's all up to you," she tells him.

"I'd like to go off on my own, Jones," he chooses.

"We'll then we'll make that happen."

It did happen. Alex was free. Jones had set up a series of meetings with the Prime Minister and other government officials in which they were reaching agreements of what to do.

Alex was surprised that no one asked him to keep doing the job. He supposed Jones had probably said something to them. Or they had all finally thought that what they had done was wrong. Yeah, Jones probably said something. Though many seemed to support him leaving, telling him in the last meeting if he ever needs anything they're always available for him.

Alex walked out of there with enough money to last him three lifetimes, several properties around the world, about 20 people who owed him favors not including the people outside of the country, a few medals for his uncle, father, and himself, along with many apologies and hand shaking among a few other things.