In Which Camila Does Not Enjoy Her Breakfast

Camila splashed cold water across her face, smearing her makeup around her eyes. Idly, she wondered if she was making a mistake in agreeing to marry Jared. Should she have waited longer? Jockeyed for a better offer? She grabbed her makeup remover and wiped the black streaks off her lashes.

Someone knocked on the bathroom door.

"Come in."

It was Alex. Ever since he'd told her his secret, things have been easier between the two of them, less stiff and formal. Recently, they'd embarked on a mission to watch every single Marvel movie. 

"I brought popcorn." He held up a large kitchen bowl. He took in her bleeding mascara and dry eyes. "...You okay?"

"Just a little overwhelmed. C'mon, we're watching Avengers." She walked towards the door. Alex didn't move. "What are you doing? Move." Without any real force, she shoved at his arm.

He caught her wrist. His fingers were cold. "Talk to me."

"Really, it's nothing."

Alex looked down at her hand, his fingers still wrapped around her wrist. He blinked, released her as if burned, and took a sharp step backwards. "What did Jared want?"

"Oh!" Camila followed him out into the room, grabbing a fistful of warm, buttery popcorn. "He proposed."

"...He proposed?"

"Yeah. No ring or anything, but we've got an unofficial arrangement established."

"So you're saying yes." He set the popcorn down on the bedside table. "Wow."

As Camila watched, the metal popcorn bowl began to bend under his grip.

"Alex?"

"Yeah?"

She took two slow steps towards him, like he was a deer she didn't want to startle. When she was about a foot away, he inhaled sharply and she froze, suddenly unsure.

When he didn't move, she reached out. Her hands touched his, peeling his fingers away from the dented metal. "It's a nice bowl." She said, looking up into his pale blue eyes. 

His skin was cold to the touch. Must be a vampire thing, Camila reasoned, surprised that she'd never noticed it before. Maybe she'd always seen what she expected to. 

Alex swallowed. His eyes burned with something she couldn't decipher.

"Do you, um, want to come with me? To Louisiana?" Camila asked.

"You'll be married. That's different." He sat down on the bed.

Camila sat beside him. She reached over, taking his large hand in both of hers, and leaned forward so he met her gaze. "I'd feel better with you there."

Alex wasn't polished like the suitors she saw every day. He was quiet, serious, maybe even a bit awkward. But he was always with her, standing at her side, and Camila knew he would never betray her. 

His thumb traced the hollows of her palm, slowly, as if he didn't realize what he was doing. "Then I'll come with you."

"Good." Her shoulders relaxed. "Thank you."

He nodded. "Anytime."

At breakfast the next morning, Camila's parents cornered her. It was Sunday, she held a warm mug of coffee in her hand, and there were no scheduled events until the evening. 

"Hey! How's the ruling going?" She hugged her mom. Queen Isabella smelled like lavender—her usual perfume—with a faint tinge of mildew that reminded Camila of rotting paper. "Hanging out in the library?" The castle's library was several decades old, filled with ancient werewolf texts.

"A little, I suppose. Actually, how is your morning going?" Camila's mother pulled away to flash her a brilliant smile. "How are the suitors? How is your life?"

Her dad heaved a great sigh. "Let's cut to it. Camila, we need your help."

"So you don't want to hear about my life?" Camila pressed a hand to her chest. "I'm shocked. Shocked and hurt."

"Of course I'd love to hear about your life! Just not right now-"

"Relax, Dad. I'm kidding. What's going on?"

It wasn't the first time her parents had asked her to do something unpleasant for the pack. Once, in a last ditch effort to keep the vampires out of their territory, her family had completed an ancient ceremony begging mercy from the Moon Goddess. As the only daughter of the Alpha, Camila had choked down a noxious mixture of vampire teeth, squirrel blood, and molasses.

To her bitter resentment, the vampire attacks had only gotten worse.

Her father pointed his finger at her. "You know you're less funny than you think you are."

Her mother elbowed him.

"Right, anyways." Her father was dressed for the throne today, in a deep navy blue suit with his crown balanced atop his peppered-gray hair. "You remember the Vindicator we took prisoner?"

"My mate? The one who tried to kill Alex and knocked me out? It rings a bell, but I'm not sure-"

"Oh, shut up."

"Just cut to the chase Dad!"

"He surrendered himself, offering to give up the Vindicator's secrets in exchange for food, shelter, and a pardon. However, he's only willing to speak to you."

Her mother added, "We've tried bribery and coercion, but haven't really had any luck with either. He's more powerful than we expected, which is unfortunate. Anyway, we'll have multiple guards in the room, the strongest chains we have, and we'll do anything to make it more... I don't know... comfortable."

Camila frowned. She'd hoped never to worry about Declan again. While some part of her longed to explore the mating bond and form some kind of relationship with him, the rational side of her understood that Declan was dangerous. He was a criminal and a thief who'd manipulated and attacked her.

"Have you tried torture? That might work."

"He's your mate, sweetie." Her mother smoothed a piece of black hair behind Camila's ear. "We can't torture him. Besides, the last time he was a prisoner it didn't work. He never gave up any secrets."

Camila sighed. "Maybe just wait him out? If you keep giving him what he wants, he'll just keep asking for more."

"We don't have that kind of time." Her father stole a bite of the misto quente, stuffed bread, sitting at the center of the table. "The only thing he's given us is that there's something big going down, soon. As in, within the week. And that could be a lie, but I'd like to play it safe. We can't lose anything by sending you in there."

Yeah, it's only going to mess with my priorities and remind me of what could have been, Camila thought, No biggie. Anything for the kingdom, she reminded herself.

"Alright. You owe me though."

YAY. You're still reading. Keep reading please. Thank you for all of your time and energy!

-Harley