In Which They Reach Manaus

"You know, if it was between marrying you and death, I think we could have come to an arrangement." A strand of hair dangled right in front of her mouth and every time Camila spoke, it ended up stuck between her lips. She blew at it, trying to get it to move away.

The mosquito bite on her arm itched incessantly. The strand of hair waved tauntingly in her face, moving with the slight breeze. And Camila was pretty sure her shirt was tucked inside her bandages. Needless to say, the handcuffs had gotten old fast.

"Declan? Are you even listening?"

"I'm choosing not to answer." Declan didn't look over, focusing on the road in front of him. He flicked the turn signal and a rhythmic clicking filled the silence.

"Asshole," she spat.

Declan didn't bother to reply.

They'd just entered Manaus, a massive city in the heart of the Amazon rainforest. Even at night, the streets were crowded with passerby. Between towering skyscrapers, Camila caught glimpses of the gaping Amazon river, the water a deep oceanic blue.

The wind picked up. Outside, a tourist ran after a map flying down the sidewalk. The strand of hair batted at her eyelashes. Camila groaned and jerked her head to the side.

Declan glanced at her.

"Want to help me out?" she growled.

"Nah. It's kind of entertaining." Declan spun the wheel and the truck lumbered clumsily into a parking space. "The handcuffs are cute."

"Come a little closer and I'll show you how cute I can be," Camila snapped. They were in a parking lot outside a tall building, a hotel, maybe. Flashing neon lights—bright pinks, greens, and purples—lined the edges. In large, sparkly lettering hanging over the door, it read: Paraíso.

Paradise.

Declan opened the car door and hopped down.

Camila leapt into action.

She swung one leg over the center console and tumbled into the driver's seat. She grabbed Declan's shirt, pulling him to her, almost as if she was about to kiss him.

"Wh-" His eyes lowered, settling on her lips.

Camila plucked the keys from his hand. With every bit of strength she had, she pushed him away. If she could get the door closed-

One arm snuck under her legs and the other wrapped around her back. A moment later Declan was carrying her, bridal style, out of the car.

Spoon barked happily and waddled along behind them.

"That was cute too." He chuckled. "But you're no match for me with that bracelet on."

At least her hair was finally out of her face. Camila crossed her arms and clenched her jaw. "I can walk."

"I know. I like this better."

Declan walked with an unnatural smoothness, every movement measured and fluid. Camila wasn't jolted or bounced around. His arms were strong and steady. He was warm, comforting, and—even if he was planning on ransoming her, or whatever he came up with—the mating bond filled her with a pleasant rush of euphoria. If it weren't for her pride and general intelligence, Camila might've agreed with him.

He set her down in front of the revolving glass doors.

Camila started forward.

"Wait," he said.

Declan regarded her, a slight smile on his lips. "Come here." It wasn't a question.

"And if I don't want to?"