In Which Camila Has a Bit of a Crisis

When Camila escaped her parent's scolding—she should have remained in control of her emotions, she should have made Declan a counteroffer, and she should have called his bluff, because the word of her parents was worth more than his—she was frustrated, fed up, and exhausted. Her hands, clenched into fists for the past hour, had red crescent moons at the base of her palms, courtesy of her fingernails. Her eyes were watery, although she'd managed to hold back tears.

She glanced at her watch. It was 5:16. She'd have thirty minutes to eat dinner and then she would have to get ready for the ball.

Where Declan would probably try to assassinate someone. Or storm the treasury.

Her father's voice echoed in her head. Control yourself, Camila. You can't go leaping to conclusions and making rash decisions.

Camila's heel caught on a loose floorboard and she hurtled to the ground. Her head slammed against the floor.

Now she'd have a black eye at the dance. For a moment, she considered staying there, lying on the floor, and pretending none of this is happening.

"Hey." Alex knelt beside her. "You okay?"

The floor was surprisingly comfortable. It was less complicated than walking. Plus, her manipulative vigilante mate couldn't talk to her if she was face-down on the ground. If the suitors saw her, Camila imagined they would whisper amongst themselves and walk past, saving the small talk for when she looked presentable.

"I'm fine, I'm fucking- I'm fine." Her voice broke. Camila rolled over so she can see Alex.

His brow furrowed into a worried line. "Come on. Let's get you to your room."

He slipped an arm around her waist, lifting her into an upright position. "It's just a little farther."

Camila took a step.

Shit.

Her foot promptly gave out. She looked down, only to see the heel of her shoe dangling by a thread. Numbly, she leaned into Alex's shoulder.

"I feel like I'm failing," she whispered. "It's like- He's my mate. He's supposed to be perfect. And all he does... It's like all he does is manipulate me. I think he's actually flirting with me, then it turns out he's had some ulterior motivation the whole time. I feel like an idiot."

Alex stayed silent.

"And it's stupid, because he drives me crazy. And that's pathetic. And he's horrible and evil and he's killed people, good people, and-" They reached her room. Alex opened the door and they stumbled inside, like a clumsy competitor in a three-legged race. "And it's just the bond. I wouldn't like him if it weren't for the bond."

Alex placed her on the bed. He knelt, gently removing one heel, then the other. 

"And my whole life, my future, it's just some... bargaining chip in a game." Camila suddenly felt very tired. She flushed, realizing Alex hadn't said a word. He was probably desperately uncomfortable.  "I'm sorry. I don't mean to put this all on you."

Alex rose, sitting next to her. The bed sunk under his weight, sending Camila rocking into him. She tried to steady herself.

Her hand landed on his thigh. Alex inhaled sharply.

"Um." Camila swallowed. "Sorry." She folded her hands into her lap.

There was a moment of silence.

"Don't be sorry," Alex said roughly. "I mean- don't be sorry about talking to me. I'm here for you. And that guy..." His voice trailed off. "He doesn't deserve you. I'll kick his ass if you want me to."

Camila gave a tired chuckle. "I don't want you to get hurt."

He brushed his thumb against her cheek, the rest of his hand lightly cradling her jaw. "I wouldn't be the one getting hurt."

They were inches apart.

Alex's eyes were a clear, pale blue. He couldn't seem to look away from her. His hand was still resting against her face.

On instinct, Camila arched her neck towards him. Just an inch or two.

Someone knocked on the door.

Camila leapt away from him. Alex dropped his hand and cleared his throat.

"Come in!" Camila called, a little too loudly. Her thoughts danced wildly in her mind. Had she almost kissed Alex? Goddess, that was stupid. Camila smoothed down the front of her dress, looking for something to do with her hands.

Serena poked her head in. "Ready for the ball?"

Poor Camila... She's a bit stressed. If you hit that star and vote, she will get a chocolate and feel better!

Thank you for reading this far! You're a fantastic human being.

-Harley