In Which Camila Gets Some Answers

"Well, that depends." Camila took a step forward, eyeing the woman on the throne. The woman held herself with her chest thrust forward and her chin held high. When she spoke, she looked down her thin nose. "Are you Catalina?"

The woman sighed. "It's really not that simple. You might want to take a seat."

"I prefer to stand."

"So it's easier to fight?" The woman shrugged an elegant shoulder. "If you feel you must. My name is... complicated."

"If it's difficult to pronounce, I've taken classes in proper name pronunciation."

"At least your parents were thorough." The woman pursed her lips. "You can call me Selene. But my body belongs to Catalina and my soul to Inanna."

"Inanna?"

"The first immortal. Named after the Sumerian goddess of sex and war. It's messy, I know." The woman—Selene? Inanna? Camila wasn't sure what to call her—waved a hand. "I promise I'm not here to fight with you. Please sit."

Camila got the sense she wasn't asking.

There was a small wooden chair resting below the dais. Camila picked it up, carried it up the dais steps, and set it down beside the throne so she and Selene were on the same level.

Selene raised a thin eyebrow.

Camila sat.

"Where is the Heart of Catalina?" Camila asked.

"With me."

"What do I need to do to get it?"

"Make a deal."

"With a ghost? I like my bone marrow where it is, thank you."

"A goddess, actually." Selene frowned. "Not all ghosts have bad intentions. Most do, but not all."

Camila leaned back against the chair. It creaked ominously and she adjusted her position so less weight rested on the chair.

"You're a goddess?"

"Yes."

"Prove it." Camila braced her hands against her knees.

Selene rolled her eyes. She sighed, lazily raised her hand, and snapped her fingers. The sound rung through the ballroom, clear as a bell.

Camila gasped.

She rocked forward, falling from the chair. She forgot Declan, she forgot Alex, there was only beautiful, ethereal, perfect Selene. Camila wanted to do was run her fingers through her silky black hair and taste her plush pink lips. Electricity crackled along her skin.

"Mate," she choked out.

Selene sighed, snapped her fingers again, and Camila pulled herself back into her chair, the intense need evaporating and her cheeks as red as a tomato.

"Oh," she managed.

"Indeed."

Camila raised her chin, determined not to let Selene throw her off guard. "What kind of deal did you have in mind?"

"It's simple. You embrace your nature and I'll help you out. And Camila," Selene's expression was hard to read, her face still and devoid of emotion. The shift in her features was miniscule, so small Camila suspected she'd imagined it, but, for a moment, she was sure Selene winced. "You could really use my help."

"I assume you mean the whole turn into a wolf thing, right?"

A faint sigh escaped the goddess. "It's much more complex, but yes, that's the gist of it."