In Which Camila is Angry

It took all of thirty seconds for Declan to catch her. One second, she was sprinting away from him, stray twigs slashing at her cheeks and leaving thin red lines on her skin.

A massive black wolf stopped her in her path.

Camila raised her knife. "Let me pass, Declan. I won't ask twice."

The wolf growled, the sound so low Camila felt it in her bones.

He prowled closer, stopping barely a foot away. Camila held her ground. Dimly, she was aware of the open wound in her back, her sparkly t-shirt so drenched in blood it clung to her skin.

Camila lashed out with the dagger. Before she could make contact, her back hit the dirt, heavy paws pinning her to the ground. The breath rushed out of her, her lungs empty from the force of the blow. The dagger flew into the bushes, puncturing a purple flower.

He shifted back.

Camila focused on his face, refusing to acknowledge anything below his neck. "You gonna kill me now?" she spat. Maybe she can goad him into making a mistake.

Declan stared down at her, his face blank. Emotionless.

"Too much of a coward, huh? You couldn't even look those men in the face when you killed them."

"I wasn't the one running." His voice was deadly soft. Declan relaxed his grip slowly. "We're not having this conversation. Go back to the car."

"And if I say no?"

"I'll carry you." He straightened up and offered her a hand. "Your choice."

Camila growled. She used her own hands to push herself up and stalk off towards the truck. She stumbled on a tree root-

"Easy." Declan caught her, grasping her bicep. His hands were gentle. Warm. "You've lost a lot of blood."

"I'm fine." Camila turned towards him, ready to yell, and found herself face to face with his bare, muscled chest. "Would you put some clothes on?"

He didn't say anything in response, which, Camila realized, was probably for the best. She wouldn't know what to say if he had replied.

Camila slumped down on the bed of the pickup truck.

"I'm going to go to the front of the truck and find the first aid kit. We can do this two ways." Declan raised the gun, his fingers wrapped loosely around the handle. "I leave you here and trust you not to run or I shoot you in the leg so you can't run. Can I trust you to stay here?"

Camila swallowed. Would he really shoot her? She didn't know. Every time she moved it felt like her skin was tearing farther apart.

"Fine."

"Say it."

"Say what?" Camila winced. Blurry stars danced across the edges of her vision.

"Say that I can trust you to stay here."

"Fine, you can trust me to stay here. Happy now?"

"Sure." If anything, Declan looked frustrated. His jaw was clenched, his brow furrowed, and his eyes were shadowed, almost angry.

He strode towards the front of the truck.

Camila considered running, but decided against it. They were still several hours outside of Manaus and, even if she managed to get away, she wouldn't have anyone to help her with the wound in her back. 

Of course, she could always remove her bracelet.

The silver chain kept her from shifting; she had worn it since birth to keep the animal inside her from growing too strong. If she took off the bracelet, she'd access the full range of her werewolf abilities. Her strength would increase, along with her speed, her sense of smell, hearing, plus the whole turning-into-a-wolf thing. Really, the only ability Camila wanted right now was enhanced healing.

She fiddled with the chain. It was surprisingly delicate for something so powerful, thin strands of silver winding around beaded pearls.

The first aid kit slammed down beside her.

Camila jerked upright and gasped sharply, the movement ripping her wound wider. She breathed out slowly, trying to calm her racing heart rate.

Declan wore a pair of plain black trousers, his upper body still on full display. Camila reminded herself that he was a murdering criminal.

Declan didn't bother to look at her. His eyes focused on her back. "You're going to need to take off your shirt."

"What?"

"I can do it if that's easier for you."

"No! I- You can't just hold it up?"

"Not if you want me to sew you up one-handed." He climbed onto the truck bed beside her and opens the first aid kit. He sighed. "You're covered in blood. It's not a big deal."

Camila fixed her gaze on the road, cheeks flushed in embarrassment, and pulled off her shirt. The rough motion sent another wave of pain rocketing through her body. She held the shirt on her lap, clutching it in her fists.

"Camila?"

"What?" she snapped.

"I'm going to wash the wound now, just to be safe. It might hurt a bit."

"Okay." She readied herself, digging her fingers into the fabric of her ripped, bloodied shirt.

"Do you want me to- talk or anything? I can get something for you to bite on."

Spoon waddled over, her ears bobbing with every step, and jumped up to sit next to Camila. The corgi had managed to sleep through the entire truck ride and the fight. She rested her furry snout on Camila's lap.

"Don't pretend like you care." Camila clutched the t-shirt harder. "You were ready to shoot me a couple minutes ago."

The silence was heavy and surprisingly awkward.

Camila couldn't see Declan, but she sensed him behind her, heard the soft flow of his breathing, felt the heat from his body. Something cold grazed her waist.

She flinched away, more surprised than anything.

"You're covered in blood," Declan explained. He held a wet towel, dabbing it against her skin.

Camila ripped the cloth away. "Just fucking clean it already."

"Camila," He spoke quietly, his breath tickling her ear. "I'm trying to help."

"If you really wanted to help you shouldn't have killed that vampire."

"Look at me."

Camila did, begrudgingly. His eyes pleaded with her, asking for something she couldn't give.

"He hurt you," Declan whispered. He raised a hand to touch her, froze, and withdrew it. "I can't-"

"Bullshit. He was going to tell me something you didn't want me to know."

A killer and a liar, then. Camila glared out at the trees, the tips of their branches scraping the sky. Frustrated tears built up at the backs of her eyes.

"Just stitch me up, Declan."

Thanks for reading!! I'm sending you mental chocolate!

-Harley