Chapter 12

24 ~~ EXT. EMPIRE STATE UNIVERSITY ~~24

Y/n is walking outside in the center of Empire State University.

She spots Peter walking and starts calling his name.

He looks around and spots y/n.

He smiles and waves enthusiastically.

She smiles and waves back, but with less enthusiasm.

She walks over to him.

Y/N
Well, someone seems happy. Wait, why are you wearing your glasses?

Peter looks at his glasses.

PETER
Oh. Uh, it's actually a funny story. Um...I'm not Spider-Man anymore.

Y/N
What?!

PETER
Yep.

Y/N
But-but why?!

PETER
Oh. I gave it up.

Y/N
Uh-wh-why would you do that?!

PETER
It was weighing me down and consuming my life. I was just Spider-Man. Peter Parker didn't have an identity of his own. So, I gave it up. That and my powers disappeared, completely, so.

Y/N
But you can't just give it up! What about what your uncle said? With great power comes great-

PETER
Times have changed. And you should be happy for me. My life is no longer a wreck anymore. I'm doing better in school, I've got time to do things now besides saving people, and now I can have better control over my social life. I'm even going to see MJ's play tonight. And nothing will stop me this time.

Y/N
I can't believe you. Don't you hear yourself? You act like saving people is a chore! What am I gonna do without you, Peter? I mean, we've already had this discussion before. I can't save people alone.

PETER
Maybe you should give it up like me. It'll take a lot of weight off your shoulders.

Y/N
Give it up?! I will never give it up. We are the only things stopping the world from being destroyed by supervillains! Don't you realize that?!

PETER
Well, somebody else has got to deal with it now. Because I won't be anymore.

Y/N
You're crazy. You don't know what you're saying.

PETER
No y/n, for once in my life I know exactly what I want. And it's not being Spider-Man. It's just being me. And I always thought that you out of all people would understand that and support me in my choice.

Y/N
Well, how can I Peter when you want to quit being the very thing that defines you?!

PETER
Being Spider-Man isn't who I am!

Y/n doesn't say anything.

Tears begin welling up in her eyes.

Peter sees it and calms down from raising his voice.

PETER
I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but this is who I am now.

Y/n doesn't respond.

PETER
This is my life now.

Y/n begins staring at the ground.

An angry expression suddenly grows on her face.

She roughly wipes her eyes with her hand.

Y/N
Let's hope Mary Jane will fall in love with you in it then.

Y/n turns around and storms off, angrily.

Peter watches her go with a shocked expression on his face.