CHAPTER 23

Sahadev stumbled and was about to fall, when the strong hands of his second elder brother gripped him securely. The weather had cleared a bit, with the rains at a stop and winds blowing gently. It was way past midnight, and the Pandavas had been preparing to leave, to look for their niece. Everything was ready, from their weapons to chariots, when at the palace entrance, all hell seemed to break loose, for Sahadev.

"Sahadev!!! Are you alright?" Bheem asked, in a worried tone.

But Sahadev was still dazed. Having a foreboding, was nothing new for him. But this one, was highly intense. He hadn't even felt like this, when they had reached Hastinapur for the infamous Dyut Sabha. Then why now? And suddenly the answer was clear. Chandrika. Something sinister was awaiting them.

"Sahadev!!"

The vigorous shaking by Vrikodara brought the youngest Madrinandan out of his thoughts. By then, the other Pandavas along with Krishna had gathered around them.

"I... I'm fine, Bhrata Bheem," Sahadev said, looking completely lost. His face was ashen and eyes were terrified. This look of his tensed all, except Krishna.

"We should leave now," Krishna said, in a stern tone, compelling all to listen to him. The four elder Pandavas looked at their youngest brother one last time, and went on to abode their chariots. Krishna took his usual seat, as the Sarathi of Arjun. Yudhisthir and Nakul were in one chariot, with the reins in Nakul's hands, while Bheem and Sahadev were in the other, with Bheem handling the reins. Sahadev looked at the skies and closed his eyes, as a lone tear escaped them. Then with a deep breath, he composed himself and wiped off the remnants of that traitor tear from his face.

"Sahadev, have you taken the thing that I had told you?" Krishna asked, at which Sahadev nodded looking at him.

Krishna nodded at that and soon they were moving towards their destination, with Krishna leading their way.

Chandrika stood in front of the idol of Rakshas devta, contemplating her further actions. Finally, steeling her nerves, she went ahead and knelt down on her left knee, before the idol.

"Hey Rakshas devta! Meri bali swikaar kare (Hey Rakshas devta! Please accept my offering)."

Saying this, she took out a normal dagger from her kamarband and sliced her left palm, letting her blood flow on to the base of the idol. Soon enough, it started glowing with a bright red light. However, unlike the warmth that came from the light when the Shivling had glowed, Chandrika felt a chill run down her spine, at the light appearing from the back of the idol. She got up and moved back a little. Just then, a small piece on the forehead of the Rakshas devta moved and there appeared the most powerful Rudraksha, the Rudraksha of Raavan himself.

For a moment, Chandrika was mesmerized by its beauty. However she came out of it immediately, as she remembered its destructive nature. She took a deep breath, to stabilize her raging heart, and sat down on the ground, some distance away from the idol. She crossed her legs and rested her palms on her knees, folding her fingers in Gyan Mudra. And finally, closing her eyes, she began chanting.

"RAK... TADHIM... TADHIM... TADHIM... KRIIIIIIM..."

As soon as she had chanted it for the third time, her body jerked loudly and was thrown sideways. The winds started blowing fiercely, filling the temple with eerie and spine – chilling sounds. Chandrika tried to get up, but felt an excruciating pain, surge through her muscles and move inside, till it tore through her soul itself. The pain sucked her energy so much, so that she wasn't even able to scream. She lied there, writhing for a few moments, which seemed like ages to her, when finally her brain gave up and she lost her consciousness. However, it was not long before she gained it back again. The winds had also died down till then, spreading an uncanny silence as if the universe around was waiting with bated breath, to see what was going to happen now. And amidst that, Chandrika finally opened her eyes.