Cornered

Ellie Leywin's POV:

The door creaked open from outside as two familiar figures entered the round room with a huge conference table in the center. It was Lance Aya and Lance Varay. They hung their coats around the entrance as they greeted me. I got up and escorted them to the seating. They had returned from surveying the perimeter of the city. 

We have reached Valden city after a sudden change in plans as ordered by commander Virion. It has been several hours since we heard from him through the one-way communication scroll. It stated that all the forces will gather here. Yet, the main assault team is not here. I had many growing suspicions but resigned them by thinking they may be caught in the bad weather.

"There is nothing suspicious aside from the wild mana beasts some distant away." Lance Varay reported.

Everyone sighed in relief as they returned to their tasks assigned for cooking the meal. A soldier offered us a hot refreshment before bowing to us. I took a sip from the cup as I felt my throat recovered from the dryness.

We discussed the current situation and shared our opinions on the sudden change in plans. Lance Aya was snapping in and out from her naps when we ran out of topics to share. It was then that a familiar sound alerted all of us. It was the two-way communication scroll we had in possession. 

Lance Varay used it and commander Virion is on the other side of this transmission. 

"Greetings, Commander, everyone has gathered at Valden city as planned except for the assault team. It might be possible that they are engaging with the only retainer that was present at the floating castle. I am sure they will establish contact as soon as they can." Ellie Leywin spoke through the two-way scroll." I spoke as Lance Varay nodded at me.

"Commander, We have evacuated the residents here to safety" Lance Aya continued.

"What shall be our next move? commander" Lance Varay asked with a determined tone.

"We are...on our way..to Valden city through...the tunnels leading there. We will...meet up in..a while. Be on guard...for any...possible enemy" said commander Virion as his voice distorted to a bearable level.

"Understood, Commander" Lance Varay spoke as the room dimmed at an astonishing rate.

Lance Aya and I made our way to the window to get a clue about the unnatural phenomenon. As we reached, I caught sight of darkness that was consuming the sun itself. It covered the sun in no time as it reached for the horizon. It is similar to a barrier erected to isolate a region.

"What is this? A black barrier? Everyone, take a look at it" Lance Aya spoke as gasped in anxiety.

The Communication scroll in Lance Varay's hands burnt to a crisp as they diffused into thin air. People gathered around the adjacent windows to peek outside. Out of the blue, I felt a humongous presence closing in on us while I could feel multiple energy signatures from both North and South.

The air in the room grew tense and desperate as many suffered to even let their breath out. I spotted Boo at the other side of the room who just woke up from his rest and has a grim expression. He headed towards me, while I moved in the direction of the entrance to help the soldiers struggling to get on their feet. 

The door trashed and made a loud noise as I tilted my eyesight to inspect it, a glowing red spear rushed straight to my chest. I had no time to react and dodge it. I put all my strength in the other half of my body and right ankle, to move even a possible inch away from the burning trajectory of the spear. I unconsciously embued mana to guard the vulnerable although I was a bit late.