Meredith woke up in a daze. Where was she? What happened?

Her head was throbbing. Her ribs were definelty broken, she knew from the pain in her stomach. She could feel how swollen her face was. Her leg was definitely broken as well.

To say she was in pain was an understatement. In pain and disoriented. "Where we goin'?" Meredith found the strength to mumble.

"Going where you asked. As you aren't operating anymore, you are no use to us." Jack replied shortly.

"'M goin' home?" Meredith slurred. "Yeah." Jack answered. He hated bringing people home.

"Home." Meredith whispered to herself.

•••

Derek had a feeling.

But it was a good feeling. Uneasy, but good.

Today was the day of Zola's party. It was his baby girls 6th birthday. His and Merediths baby girl. "Daddy?" Zola asked before the guests arrived.

"Yeah birthday girl?" He smiled, lifting her up into his arms and propping her on his hip. "Do you think mommy will come back for my birthday?" She asked innocently

When Derek was well enough to go home, he was at the house with the kids. Amelia was living with him, but she was busy th at day.

"Daddy, where's mama?" Zola asked. She was only 3 at the time. "Ma?" Bailey asked.

Derek sighed. He has no idea what the hell to tell his kids. "I don't know where mama is, baby." He replied honestly.

"Is she playin hide and seek? We go find her!" Zola exclaimed. "Zo...I don't know where mama is. She's...gone. But you'll see her again someday." Derek said, hoping it would be true.

"I miss her." Zola said sadly. "Miss mama." Bailey agreed. "I know. I do too." Derek said with a sad smile.

"Zo...I don't know where your mommy is. Remember? But I do know that she loves you so much and misses you." Derek replied.

"I want mommy to come home. That's what I want for my birthday, daddy."

Derek smiled sadly. "I know Zo. I can't get you that, but I got a bunch of other stuff for you." He said.

"Okay daddy." Zola said with a sigh, running off.

•••

About an hour later, the guests started arriving. "Hi Derek. Where's the birthday girl?" Dr bailey asked as she came into the house.

"Auntie Bailey!" Zola exclaimed as she ran into her arms. "Hey!" Dr Bailey laughed.

Zola said hi and then ran off to her friends. "How you doing?" Bailey asked Derek. "Oh, I'm fine." He replied.

"It must be hard for you today." She said.

"Every day is hard without her. I don't like not knowing what happened to her. I know she's alive." Derek said honestly. "I have a feeling." He added.

"A feeling?" Dr Bailey asked. He nodded. "Well...we'll see what happens." She replied before walking off into the house.

Derek took a deep breath and snuck off to his bedroom for a moment.

Last year, he took down the post it note above the bed. He didn't want to, but every look at it made his heart break.

He grabbed it out of his dresser and rubbed his finger over it. "Hey Mer. I don't know where you are or what's happening to you. I know you're alive. You wouldn't leave me. Or the kids. Today is Zola's 6th birthday. She told me this morning she missed you and she really wants you home. And I do too, Mer. We haven't given up on you. When you come home...I'll take care of you. I miss you more than words could say. I love you." He said, with a teary smile.

He put the post it note back under his socks and left the room. Today...Meredith should be here. Meredith should be celebrating their oldest daughters birthday. It felt wrong to be celebrating without her.

"Hey Derek." Carolyn said, walking up to him at the counter. "Mom." Derek breathed, hugging her tightly. "How's my birthday girl?" Carolyn asked.

"She's good. Having a good time with her friends." Derek replied.

"And bailey?" Carolyn asked. "He's with his friends too." Derek answered.

"And how's my son?"

How was he? That was a loaded question. He missed Meredith so much. But it was his baby girls birthday so he had to be okay.

"I'm fine. Really." Derek replied. "You're not. When your father passed away, birthdays hurt the worst." Carolyn countered.

"Okay. It's hard and I want my wife. But it's my baby's birthday so i have to be strong for her. I can break down later."

"Oh, Derek." Carolyn breathed, taking her son into her arms. "You'll be okay." She said. She knew her son needed closure. He needed to know if she was actually dead. Or if she was alive.

An hour later, Derek ordered pizza for everyone. Zola was opening presents. "What did you ask for, Zo?" Alex asked, sitting down next to her.

"I asked for mommy to come back. But daddy said that's not going to happen probably so instead I asked for a Barbie." Zola replied.

The adults hearts broke at that and they looked to Derek, who shrugged.

•••

Meredith was in the back of the van. She slowly sat up, her head throbbing with pain and the dizziness almost overwhelming her.

"H-Home?" Meredith repeated, not believing him. "Yes. Now stop talking. I didn't tell you to talk." Jack snapped as he turned onto a street.

Jack drove down a dirt street and saw the large house. He stopped the car and wen to the back. He would have to drop meredith off, and run quickly to not be caught.

He opened the van doors and grabbed Meredith by the shirt. He dragged her to the front door and threw her on the door step.

With one last, hard punch, he rang the doorbell and bolted back to the van.

Meredith was barely conscious. Her face was bleeding and bruised and she was in so much pain.

But she was home.

"Derek..." she murmured before letting the blackness overtake her.

"That must be the pizza." Derek said as the doorbell rang. He walked to the door and grabbed his wallet before opening it.

"Meredith!" He exclaimed in horror, looking at the broken, beaten body of his wife on the ground.

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. If you guys have any ideas feel free to let me know. Let me know if you liked this chapter.