Before taking Meredith home, Derek worked out a schedule with Bailey. He wasn't going to go to work at all unless it was a dire emergency and they absolutely needed him.

And apparently, a few mornings later, they really needed him.

Meredith was sleeping peacefully, in between his legs. That specific sleeping position helped her stay asleep. She felt safe and protected being enveloped in his arms.

Derek quickly silenced his pager and he carefully slid out of bed. It was about 8:00, and he knew his mother was up.

Meredith whimpered slightly and he kissed her forehead gently. "You're okay." He said softly before leaving the bedroom quietly. He had a feeling she would be spooked when she woke up, scared that he had left her.

Derek went downstairs and found his mom at the kitchen table, reading the paper. "Hey. What are you doing up?" Carolyn asked with a warm smile.

"I got paged. Listen, Mer might be scared when she wakes up and I'm not there. If you hear her having a nightmare, go upstairs and let her know your there. The kids won't be up for another hour. If you need me call me." Derek said.

"I'll take care of her. I don't know how I'll get her downstairs though." She replied. "She can stay upstairs. Hopefully I'll be home soon." Derek said.

"Okay. Go save some lives." Carolyn smiled. Derek nodded and left the house, hoping this surgery would be quick.

•••

Meredith woke up and immediately knew Derek wasn't there. Did he leave her? Was she back in Tacoma?

Merediths breaths quickened and she felt her body begin to tremble. She knew Carolyn was right downstairs, but she also knew the kids were probably downstairs and she didn't want to worry them.

She grabbed her phone and shakily dialed dereks number. "Mer?" He asked. "W-where are you?" She whispered into the phone.

"I'm at work, they paged me in." He replied. "I-I think h-hes here." Meredith said. Derek frowned at how shaky her voice was.

"He's not there, Meredith. I promise you. My mom is downstairs, and I'm sure the kids are up as well. You're safe." Derek said. He was in the middle of surgery, and the speaker was on.

"I need you." She whispered. "I know, Mer. I'll be home as soon as I can. How about you try to go back to sleep?" Derek suggested.

"N-no. Not without you." Meredith replied. "Close your eyes. Just think about how we were this morning. Safe." Derek said.

Meredith did so. "You're safe. No one is ever going to hurt you again. This is my last surgery, and I'll tell Bailey I'm taking a complete leave, okay? You don't have to worry about anything. Close your eyes and relax." Derek said.

"O-okay." Meredith replied, calming down a little. "Okay. I love you." He said softly. "I love you too." She replied.

•••

Meredith eventually gave up on sleeping and somehow managed to get her crutches and get down the stairs herself. She wasn't supposed to be doing that yet, but she knew her 70 year old mother in law couldn't lift her.

"Meredith!" Carolyn exclaimed as Meredith crutches into the kitchen. "Hi." Meredith said timidly. "I would've helped you get down here. How did you sleep? Dereks at work, but he's going to try to get home soon." Carolyn replied.

"I slept good. Where are the kids?" Meredith asked. "Living room. I made them some breakfast and put on cartoons." Carolyn answered. "Thank you." She said, moving towards the living room.

"Mommy!" Zola exclximaed, getting the attention of her other sibling. Meredith smiled and sat down slowly on the couch.

"Did you guys sleep well?" Meredith asked. "Yeah. Mom, try these pancakes nana made. They're so good!" Bailey exclaimed, holding out his fork.

Meredith looked to Carolyn, who smiled. "You can try." She said gently. Meredith nodded. She knew she didn't need permission here to do anything, but she didn't trust that she wouldn't get punished if she didn't ask.

Meredith tried the pancake and smiled. "That is good! Nana's a good cook, isnt she?" She asked. "Yeah! Better than daddy." Zola said sassily.

"Whos better than me?" Dereks voice rang out as he entered the door way. Meredith jumped slightly, and it didn't go unnoticed by Carolyn.

"Nana! She cooks better than you." Bailey said with a grin. "No way." Derek said, walking into the living room. He sat down next to Meredith and smiled.

"You okay?" He asked. She nodded and leant into his chest. "Safe." Derek whispered into her ear quietly. He felt her nod again and wrapped his arm around her.

"I talked to Bailey, I got a leave of absence. So I won't have to go in for a few weeks at all." Derek announced. "I'm sorry. You shouldn't-" Meredith started, feeling guilty for making him stay with her at all times.

"Domt. I'm happy to do it. I've missed you more than anything, I'm happy to spend time with you." Derek said honestly.

"Okay." Meredith whispered as she looked at the kids. She knew they both noticed how jumpy she was, but she didn't know how to explain to them that she was kidnapped and beaten and tortured by bad people. She didn't want her children to know that.

"Why don't you guys go play in the playroom for a little bit?" Carolyn stepped in. The kids nodded and scrambled away.

"I just want to let you guys know that originally my flight was booked for tomorrow. I can stay longer, but it's up to you guys." She said.

"Mom, I-" Derek started.

"Stay." Meredith cut him off. "Stay?" Carolyn asked. Meredith blushed. "Sorry, I just- stay. You...stay." She said.

"Then I'll stay." Carolyn grinned, glad that her daughter in law wanted her around.

Hey guys! Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoy. If you have any ideas, please drop them!!