Meredith woke up in the middle of the night, feeling quite a bit of pain. Her ribs hurt, her head was throbbing and her leg was burning.

She groaned as she weakly shifted in bed. "What's wrong?" Derek asked sleepily. Meredith jumped slightly at his voice but relaxed when she saw for sure it was Derek.

"Just...hurts a bit." She breathed shakily. Derek got up and walked over to her. "Do you want me to page Bailey?" He asked, grabbing her hand.

Meredith hesitated before nodding, which broke Derek's heart. If she was agreeing for pain meds, it meant she was in a lot of pain.

Derek paged Bailey and looked back at her. "You want to do something today? I can bring some movies or bring your computer in or something." Derek offered, trying to take her mind off of the pain.

"I can't really- you still have my computer?" She asked, cutting herself off. "I still have all of your stuff, Mer. I wasn't going to give up on you until I found a body." he said softly.

"I'm sorry." Meredith whispered. "It's not your fault, Mer." Derek replied. "I tried to leave, I did. But they...and I couldn't." She trailed off as Bailey came in.

"What's the matter?" Bailey asked quietly. "She needs some pain medication." Derek replied. "Morphine?" She questioned. She had no doubt Meredith was hurting right now.

Meredith laughed and then winced. "L-last time that d-didn't go well." She said with a small grin. "Last time was for your appendix. This time it's different." Bailey pointed out.

"I'll take it." Meredith whispered. Bailey nodded and quickly grabbed it and administered it. "T-thank you." Meredith said.

Derek noticed that the more comfortable she was with someone, the less stuttering she did. With Bailey, she seemed okay, and with him, she seemed perfectly fine.

"Derek?" Meredith asked, exhaustion evident in her voice. "Yeah?" He replied. "Can I...can I see the kids in the morning?" She asked hopefully.

Derek smiled. "Of course. They've missed you so much." He replied.

"Good." She breathed, falling asleep quickly.

•••

Derek woke up to his mother shaking his shoulder. "Hey." He said groggily, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Hey. You said wake you at 8. It's 8." She replied quietly as not to startle her resting daughter in law. "Thanks. Uh, mers gonna see the kids today." Derek said, smiling as he stood up.

"That's great, dear. Is she ready for that?" Carolyn asked. "She's the one who asked. The kids are gonna be so happy." Derek said.

"I'm sure they will. Does she want me to try to cover up the bruises? I can if she wants me to." Carolyn offered.

"I'll ask when she gets up. I'm gonna go get a shower and change. Can you stay with her for a little while?" He asked.

Carolyn nodded. "Just when you talk let her know it's you. And don't touch her. Just be quiet and gentle." He explained. "Okay." She replied.

About 15 minutes later, Meredith woke up. Thanks to her good old friend morphine, she wasn't in any pain this time.

She looked around and instead of seeing Derek, she saw Carolyn. Meredith tensed up visably and grabbed her sheets in a tight fist.

"It's just me, dear. Carolyn. Dereks mom." Carolyn said softly. "I-okay." Meredith replied. "Derek just went to shower and change for the day before he brought the kids in." She explained.

"O-okay." Meredith said quietly. "It's okay, Meredith. I'm not going to hurt you." Carolyn said soothingly.

"I-I know. I-I just..." Meredith trailed off. "You're scared. It's okay. How are you feeling?" She asked. "B-better. B-Bailey gave m-me mor-morphine." Meredith replied quietly.

"Good. Are you excited to see the kids?" Carolyn asked, trying to keep a comfortable conversation with Meredith.

"Y-yes. Very. I-I missed t-them so much." Meredith admitted. "They have too, trust me." She said with a sad smile. "T-thank you f-for w-watching them. And h-helping Derek." Meredith said honestly.

"Of course, dear." Carolyn replied.

Minutes later, Derek came back in, cleanly clothed and his hair in wet, dark curls. "Good morning." He said quietly, walking over and kissing her forehead. And for once, Meredith did not flinch.

"Kids?" Meredith asked. "Alex is bringing them now." Derek replied. Meredith sat up with a grunt and Carolyn silently left the room.

Alex knocked at the door once and then came in. "Mommy!" Zola and bailey both exclaimed, running over. Merediths eyes immediately welled up at the sight of her two babies and smiled.

"Hi." She whispered. "You're home!" Zola said happily, asking Derek and climbing up onto Merediths bed. "Mommy." Bailey whispered, Derek lifting him up onto the bed.

"I'm home. I'm not leaving again." Meredith said, wrapping her arms tightly around the kids. Derek watched with happy tears in his eyes as the kids reunited with their mom.

"I missed you so much." Meredith breathed. Her ribs hurt due to the hug, but she would take the pain if it meant being able to hug and kiss and hold her babies again.

"We did too, mama. Why did you leave?" Bailey asked innocently. "That doesn't matter right now. Mamas back and she's not leaving and that's the important thing." Derek cut in.

"And I'm not leaving ever again, I promise. I love you both so much and I'm sorry I had to go in the first place." She said, pulling away slightly to meet their brown and blue eyes.

"I love you too, mama!" Both kids responded. Derek walked over to the kids and Meredith silently nodded her permission to get on to the bed.

Derek slid behind her and wrapped his family in his arms.

The Shepherd family was finally whole again.

So they thought.

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. If you guys have any ideas feel free to let me know. Let me know if you liked this chapter.