Take It From The Top

GRAYSON

Nessa liked to fixate on our differences, but the more time we spent together, the more sure I became that there weren't as many as she thought.

She knew every song on my playlist during the twenty-minute drive to the diner, which admittedly had mainly consisted of The Killers. She knew every reference I made during lunch, nodded with understanding at every complaint I made about school. Shit, Nessa knew how to put away a massive cheeseburger, too—just as efficiently as I did. The only difference was that she looked a hell of a lot better doing it.

Her mind and mine—they weren't that different. She might claim that her thoughts didn't wander to the dirty places mine did, but I knew without a doubt that wasn't the case. That blush that lit up her face every time I teased her didn't fool me; there was a dark dance in her eyes that told me everything I needed to know.

But I still suspected that teasing Nessa Elez would never get old.

We'd barely been in the car for a half-hour after lunch when I took an exit off the freeway, and I could practically hear the way Nessa stiffened in indignation.

"What are you doing now?"

Pulling into the parking lot of a coffee shop, I raised a brow.

"Never got you your coffee. Need a mid-afternoon pick me up?"

Watching her lips pop apart gave me so much satisfaction that I had to look away while I drove toward the drive-thru just so I wouldn't laugh. I stared at the menu instead, pretending to give it a glance while the attendant greeted us through the speaker.

"Grayson, you don't need—"

"Hot or iced?" I asked, peering over my shoulder at her.

"I—really, it's not necc—"

I shook my head, knowing she wasn't going to answer me. So I swung my head back out the window.

"Can I get grande iced caramel macchiato?"

It was hard to hear the reply from the drive-thru attendant over Nessa's grumbling.

"Oh my god, you are—"

"Ridiculous?" I filled in for her, smiling as I pulled ahead in the lane. It was her favorite thing to say about me.

"Yes!"

I shrugged. "Only when it comes to you."

Fuck, if that wasn't the truth.

She shook her head, and by the expression on her face, I knew she was trying to decide how annoyed she really wanted to act. But I earned a soft thank you when I handed her the drink, and she snuggled into the corner of my car with it, tucking one foot up beneath her as we headed back onto the highway.

She was so goddamn cute.

"You didn't need to do that," she grumbled one more time.

"I know. I wanted to. That was our deal, after all."

Nessa didn't say anything to that. And when I glanced over at her, she was hiding behind her coffee cup.

Silence lulled, and I decided to fill it with music, hoping it would draw her out again. It worked, but only a little. I couldn't get her to sing, but she was wiggling in her seat to The Neighbourhood by the time I was hitting 70 miles per hour again.

I spent the rest of the afternoon riding some kind of inexplicable high. Even after I dropped Nessa off, I felt awake for the first time in weeks. And I didn't even have a splash of caffeine in my system. I left that to Nessa, who was downright jittery by the time she said goodbye to me. I liked to think that the caffeine had nothing to do with the way she smiled at me before saying goodbye, though.

Genuinely.

I wished I could start the day over again to spend more time feeling like this, to spend more time with her. I wanted to press rewind and take it from the top.

Because my high only lasted until the minute I stepped through the front door to my house. 743 Cherwood Drive was a rambler with a renovated open floor plan, meaning that the second I appeared in the entrance of it, both of my moms' eyes darted straight to me. From opposite sides of the house.

Maman was hovering at the stove, as usual. And mom was sitting on the couch with a book propped open. It only took them a second to jump forward, scowls on their faces.

I wasn't that late, was I?

"Oh, honey. You look so exhausted."

Exhausted? I didn't feel exhausted.

I shrugged. "I guess it was kind of a long week with finals and everything."

Maman nodded. She had on furry slippers, and she skated towards me in them without picking up her feet.

"You just need some more rest," she said, brushing my hair out of my face like she always did. "Break will be good for you to recharge before heading back in January."

***

Break was not good for me.

As the days became longer, hedging toward the winter solstice, I became just as exhausted as my parents worried I was. And it made no fucking sense because I wasn't doing a damn thing. Not a damn thing. A Christmas movie here or there, some video game nights at Brodie's house, a little bit of cooking with Maman. But that was it.

I needed a change. Or something. Someone. Someone brunette and leggy, someone with a sharp tongue that tasted like whiskey.

Nessa. I needed Nessa. She could cure this; I knew she could.

It was a few days before Christmas when I texted her, fully expecting to get rejected. After all, she had a whole multitude of excuses she could use this time of year. Her family was probably in full holiday swing, and I doubted she'd be free. But I had to try.

Me: Are you thirsty?

Nessa: Don't you dare send me a thirst trap, Grayson.

I hopped into the front seat of my car, laughing. And hoping that she wasn't going to leave me hanging, driving to Patterson like an idiot.

Me: That isn't what I meant.

Nessa: I wouldn't have put it past you.

Me: I've never sent pics to a girl before, but I'd happily change my ways for you. Would you prefer me shirtless or pantless?

God, I wished I was there to see her face when she read that text.

Nessa: I honestly can't with you.

Me: Adler, get those dirty thoughts out of your head and answer my question.

Nessa: What question?

Me: Are you thirsty? I needed to get out of the house, and I have a coffee with your name on it.

Well, I didn't have the coffee yet. But I would sure as shit get her one if she wanted it. It took her a few minutes, but when I saw those three little dots dance on my screen, I held my breath.

Nessa: I've been wondering when I was going to get my next caffeine fix.

I barely dared to believe my luck. And yet, I decided to push it.

Me: What about a Grayson fix? It's kinda a package deal.

Nessa: I'm actually starting to realize that I like my coffee best with a side of Grayson.

A grin so broad that it hurt spread over my face.

Me: Then I'll be there soon.

Nessa: Drive safe.

💗

hey! I know this was a short one, but the next chapters are where the action is at. so I'll make it up to you, soon <3

xoxo amelie