c08: complaining

❝There's too much risk in loving,'
the young boy said,
'no,'
said the old man,
'there's too much risk in not.❞

08

COMPLAINING
文句を言う

COMPLAINING文句を言う

. . .

If I were pregnant every time I woke up with nausea, I'd break a Guinness record.

At first, all I could do was stare at the ceiling, a little on the light fixture and, lastly, on the sofa I was sprawled on. A wave of fatigue re-hit me. My face scrunched in pain, and I held my forehead as if it would decrease it.

When I sat up, my eyes fell on the centre table in my living room and noticed a folded paper under a cup of water I didn't remember filling. There was a pill beside it. The flashbacks hit me. Blake was here.

'I'd have loved to stay the day with you,
but I have work. I hope you don't wake
up with much pain. If you do, take the
pill and drink the water. Text me asap? :)'

I let the note fall in my lap and sighed exasperatedly. That was bound to create needless drama in my life. There was no need for him to see me drunk and emotional...

I sent him a quick text of gratitude and apologies. I didn't want to, or more like wasn't ready, to see his reply or talk to him in general, so I muted his chat. Although I didn't remember much of what we talked about, I believed I remembered what was important.

My phone vibrated in my hand. The pop-up notification showed the name of my best friend, Noah.

'at yo door. open.'

"What the fuck," I cussed.

"Don't cuss! It's goddamn prohibited in the holy book!" he yelled behind the door.

Sometimes it felt as if he intended to be embarrassingly loud on my door, so I would forcefully let him in.

I let him in and complained, "Do you know what time it is?! It's illegal to bother people at this time of their night shift day, Noah!"

He gave me a look. "What are you talking about? It's almost 2 pm."

My eyes were boggled. "Wait, what?"

Did I sleep till that hour?

"Both our shifts start at 3 pm, you know?" He set takeaway bags on the centre table. "Wait, you look like... you drank—"

I threw my arms in the air. "Yes yes, I drank last night, and I have a hangover right now. Will you please spare me? Why are you even here?"

He faked a look of hurt. "Ouch. I brought lunch. Thought we could go to work together too, but perhaps you don't deserve my kindness."

I smirked. "You and I know that's not the only reason you come a lot."

He rolled his eyes. "Fine. Yes, I'm avoiding Emily still. It's uncomfortable as fuck to have your ex as your neighbour, Cassie."

I shrugged and walked to the fridge. "I really don't understand why someone would break up with you but still try to get you back. Does she still ask for dumb stuff like sugar and teabags?"

He cringed. "Eh, no. I think... she moved on and even found another man she likes, but it's still awkward between us. She hasn't knocked on my door in a while. At least that's what she tries to make me believe."

My lips formed a rounded 'O'. "You both are weirdos."

To be honest, I regretted saying that a few seconds after, considering the state he was in when they first broke up. Broken, devastated and unreasonably guilty.

"So why did you drink?" he asked.

I flinched. I had to generate an answer fast. "Just because."

"I'm not buying that, but I won't force you to answer yet."

Noah busied himself with scooping a portion for two of the food in plates. I came back to the centre with two cups of water, and he passed me my plate.

"Who says no to Chinese noodles as a brunch?"

. . .

thots on noah? Chinese food?

the story is slowly progressing and introducing more characters :)

I've pre written it, so ik how it'll go, but I'm open to change and tweak here and there depending on my reader's opinions if it fits!

please vote and share x