c14: beaching

❝The sun is hot without
a cloud in the sky,
and the beach runs out for
a mile in silky white sand,
so that the tide flows back.❞

14

BEACHING
ビーチ

BEACHINGビーチ

. . .

The sun and my pale skin were not best friends, especially California’s.

I looked up to the blue sky with the help of my sunglasses. It mesmerised me no matter how fast you drove, the sky wouldn’t move with you like the rest of our surroundings. Only new clouds could collide and form new shapes, but that was all about it. The sky was the same for all despite the alternate times the sun brightened it.

I outstretched my hand from the window of the car—he rented it—, playing with the sun rays as though I could touch them. The wind pierced my palm. A childish smile tugged up the corners of my lips.

Blake’s green eyes spared me a glance behind his sunglasses. “You can’t touch the sun, silly,” he snorted beside me.

I huffed. “I know… I was only enjoying it.”

The black head hummed. “By the way, the sun helped me notice how long and chestnut your hair is! It’s amazing.” I blushed. Before I could reply I was flattered, he added, “One more reason why I’m attracted to you.”

I took in a breath, squealing inside at the butterflies bubbling in my stomach. “This is the shortest I ever had my hair, though.”

“What?” His forehead creased. “Below your shoulders is the shortest?”

I nodded proudly. “Yes. I always had it until my butt. But one day, I got tired of it, so I flipped my head over, collected my hair and used the scissors.”

He was speechless for a moment, eyeing me and blinking as though I have done the biggest sin. It made me smirk. He didn’t know the suffers of a girl with long hair, so I didn’t blame him.

“You’re full of surprises.”

“Long hair could get tiring, so I also try to cut it to donate it to cancer patients.”

“That’s… very noble and generous of you, Cassie.”

I shrugged. “Not really. Real generosity would be if I still gave the thing despite not having an abundance of it. At least that’s what I think it means. I have healthy hair that grows fast, so I don’t mind sharing it.”