c13: hiding

❝Words will
scratch more
hearts than
swords.❞

13

HIDING
隠蔽

HIDING隠蔽

. . . 

It was about time I told Noah about my entanglement with Blake, and he had to know.

Being the only reliable person to live close to me, my parents entrusted him with my well-being ever since I moved to live alone in college. Besides, after my complicated history with men, I often felt the need to tell a friend or a family member about men in my life to feel safe for the future.

"If only you weren't my best friend, baby. You look dashing." I giggled as I fixed the collar of Noah's shirt.

We were at a men's wear shop, trying to pick the right outfit for a high school friend's upcoming birthday party. I had an outfit ready myself, but Noah claimed he needed something new.

He smiled big. "You still could crush on me, you know." He winked, and I slapped his chest. "What's up with you, by the way? Been smiling a lot. Haven't seen you this bubbly in a while, to be honest." He raised his eyebrow at me, touching himself up.

I immediately blushed. I thought it was finally the time.

"Why are you blushing? Wait, are you on—"

"Fine, fine, yes! I like Blake," I blurted.

His face scrunched up unpleasantly. "That isn't what I was gonna ask, but it's good I know now..."

I bet my lip, fidgeting with my fingers. "Ah, I have wanted to tell you for a while. I think we're working well together?" I said more like a question.

He nodded. "I'm happy for you, Cassie. It makes me happy to see you happy too and moving on. It's all I ever wanted for you."

I couldn't hold myself from hugging him. "Thank you. You're an important person in my life, Noah, and nothing's gonna change that."

/

I was back to my turn of morning shifts in the café, and back to meeting Blake at that time.

The guy started sitting on the counter instead of far away from me and only receiving glances. We openly chatted as every different morning I tried to offer him new choices for a cup of coffee.

He took a sip and pursed his lips. I waited for his reaction patiently although I already knew what it'd be.

"Bingo! I like this one best. Almost sugar-free and no whipped cream."

I snorted. "Blake, this is literally just black coffee with drops of creamer. Maybe we should stop trying."

He shrugged with a teasing smile. "All up to you and your idea."

I offered him a cheese croissant to get him energised for the day and packed him a few oat biscuits for work. When he had to leave, I had a question in my mind.

"Blake..." I called while he collected his belongings and paid the bill.

"Yes, babe?"

I flushed into a red mess. It was his first time calling me that, although our relationship status was still unclear.

"Are you free on Saturday night?" I managed to ask.

If Blake could come with me to my friend's party, that would be great. She said it would be lovely to bring more people, especially those we love for some couple activities, and she wanted it to be huge.

His fists tightened, and a glint sparkled in his emerald orbs. He frowned. "Unfortunately, no..."

I shook my head. "That's alright! Just wanted to spend some time together."

He flashed me a tender smile and asked out of the blue, "Baby, what's your favourite colour?"

I leaned on the counter, propping my chin on one hand. "White. Pure, innocent yet powerful enough to split into the rest of the colours. Dispersion," I answered, proud of my choice.

He smirked. "We still could go out together. Are you free tomorrow afternoon?"

I blinked. "Yes, why?"

"I have friends who are throwing a small beach party to celebrate their engagement. It would be lovely if you could be by my side, Cassandra," he cooed and flashed me an irresistible smile.

How could I say no when he held that much charm?

"I'd love to."

. . . 

aighty, climax starts with the next chap :)

please, vote, comment and share <3