c24: cooperating

❝She was afraid of
heights,
but she was
much more afraid
of never flying.❞

24

COOPERATING
協力する

. . .

Noah didn’t want to leave me alone.

After I had told him what happened between Blake and me, he went nuts. He kept reminding me of the obvious: I was making dumb decisions I would regret if I stayed with Blake.

Then again, who did he think he was after how much he hid from me, after dating a person who threatened to smear his best friend’s reputation? I had yet to face him about that one day.

“Just like he is cheating on Emily, if you two ever get to be in a healthy, legit relationship, he could cheat on you too.”

I agreed on the possibility one hundred per cent. Still, he wouldn’t shut up even when I assured him I did. It was just a possibility. He didn’t get my point and didn’t want to.

I rolled my eyes. “I am happy with this for now, so I don’t wanna ruin it. Please, lemme be.”

Noah’s face contoured with rage. He was the type who rarely got angry, but recently, his vibe was different. “Seriously? Happy having a taken man that could be all over another woman? A man who is never yours only? A man touching and touched by other women?”

Fury bubbled up inside me, but I stayed composed on the outside. “He’s with me now. He promised he would leave her.”

I hung to that promise Blake gave. I could tell Noah was trying to approach the situation in a way that could open my eyes to reality and make me change my mind. Trying the jealousy approach. Then again, he never got my point. My eyes were already open.

Blake was mine only. I was the only woman in his eyes at that moment, and he made me happy. No more words were needed. From the spur of the moment, I got an idea I hoped would make him leave me alone.

While he was busy playing with his keychain in thoughts, I smirked at him and called, “Noah.” I grabbed his attention. “Don’t you miss your girl? How are you chill letting her go to another guy? Letting her be touched by him? She’s your long-term girlfriend. She left you for him.”

Yes, I was trying the same approach on him. If he thought it could work on me, then I could think the same way around. It could be a win-win if he cooperated.

Noah tensed. He bit his lip, forehead creased. He looked away from me and rejected the eye contact. Noah’s fingers started fidgeting, and his words were stolen.

He cleared his throat. “U-Uh, we broke up, Cassandra; she didn’t leave me for him. I only want her to be happy, and if that’s with another man, then I wish her the best.”

“Cliché.” I snickered at his attempt to sound like a nobleman, arms folded over my chest. “Are you sure? With someone who already let go of her heart for another woman? She deserves better according to you.”

I saw his Adam apple bob, a sign I was doing the thing correctly. With some more pushing, I could crack him and have him on my side.

“You’re cruel. I can’t believe you’re being like this for a man, forgetting what happened to you before. I don’t recognise you anymore.”

My plan took a different turn. It came unexpectedly to me when he gave me his back and left my place, making sure to huff and slam the door behind. A sense of guilt filled me, but I reburied it. That was my talent recently. I convinced myself I didn’t care much, for I at least got rid of his nagging.

I had a lit cigarette between my fingers again. The smoke filled the air around me quickly. I had enough thinking and negative feelings, so I wasn’t willing to ponder those anymore. Instead, I tried to clear my mind and think of my next step. My plan needed constant attention.

A few hours later, Noah was on my door again. I blinked at him once I saw his defeated features, wondering if that was an indicator of my victory. Did he change his mind?

“Come in again if you want,” I said and left the doorway.

He followed me into the kitchen for my need water glass. He calmly took out a stool from my kitchen counter and sat down, exhaling out a breath.

“I thought about it. I’ll only do this because Blake doesn’t deserve Emily.”

“Do what?” I pressed.

His jaw clenched. “Make her leave Blake, so you can have your ridiculous romance with him.”

I chuckled at his wording. I rested my palm on the counter and leaned on it. I pouted. “He doesn’t deserve Emily, but he deserves me?”

He glared. “Stop. You asked for this, but she didn’t. I bet he didn’t and will never even tell her, considering how much of a shame it is and how much of a coward he is.”

I knew no limit to what this guy could do for Emily. It made me a little jealous. I wished I had a faithful guy like him, but I wasn’t as lucky as Emily, so I had to settle for treacherous men like Blake.

The corner of my lips tugged upwards. “You bet, huh?”

. . .

I'm aware cass sounds sick in this chapter. bash her, not me lol.  you can say she's on a breakpoint.

i think there are around 6 chapters left. do you think she'll change her mind and realise she's fucking up, or she'll cause a disaster for herself?

I'm planning to make the last chapter a Noah pov. lemme know your thoughts!

vote, share and comment to make me happy 😊