Leaving Parts Out

"I can't believe the council is meeting and I'm not invited!"

Asami punched the bag again, making it swing hard to the other side, almost hitting the ceiling. 

"Well, you aren't a politician..." Mako tried.

Asami huffed out. "Who gives a shit? If it's about the Equalists, then I need to be there too!" 

"I'm sure Chief Beifong will tell you everything, plus every decision would probably be public news–"

"Fuck that! I'm the Avatar! I should take part in making big decisions that deal with public safety!"

With one final blow, the punching bag was torn off the chain holding it, smashing hard against the wall, almost bursting to pieces. 

"Dear Raava..." Mako mumbled, "where's Korra when you need her to calm you down?"

Asami shrugged, grabbing a towel from a nearby stand and wiping her sweat off. "Dunno, she was gone when I woke up, just left a note." She said, a bit bitterly. 

"Oh... did you two like, break up or something?" Mako asked with his arms crossed.

"Nope, she just had to rush back to her apartment or something." Asami said. "Where's your brother?"

"Oh, uh... he's not feeling well," Mako rubbed the back of his neck, “I have no idea what's wrong with him, he didn't tell me."

"What the fuck is this? Is this national 'bail on the Avatar' day and I missed the memo?" Asami snorted.

Mako chuckled, amused. "I'm sure that's all a coincidence." He said.

Asami huffed, grabbing the newspaper she tossed on the floor earlier in rage. She read the title again, 'A false sense of safety- Avatar Asami's failure', and burned it. Fuckers.

"You know what? Fuck the council, fuck your brother and my girlfriend." She said, setting up another bag.

"Hey, are you okay?" Mako asked, worrying his bottom lip. "How are ya feeling?"

"Peachy." She spat out, punching the bag.

"Who needs them anyways? I'm here, and I love you!" Mako exclaimed. 

Asami couldn't help but smile a little. "Thanks Mako, I love you too."

"And who cares about that newspaper?" Mako waved her off. "Nobody actually thinks that!"

Immediately that put a damper on Asami's mood. Her smile dropped in a second, and she just huffed out, punching harder.

"Sorry! I shouldn't have mentioned it!" Mako immediately corrected himself.

"Who cares? I don't care." She hissed, spin kicking the bag and making it pop. "Who cares about public opinions? I sure don't!"

She lied.

Even though she didn't look at him, she knew Mako looked concerned. But before he could say anything, a knock came on the door.

"Asami honey? You have a visitor." Her father said after opening the gym's door.

"So? Tell them I'm busy." Asami shrugged without even looking at him.

"...It's councilman Noatak."

Asami's head snapped in his direction. "What? What is he doing here?"

"I don't know. But he requested your immediate presence," Hiroshi said with an apologetic smile, "you should come greet him, it's impolite to leave him waiting."