Traitor

The wanted posters of her had just spread a few days prior, and she had been instructed to stay in the main headquarters outside of working hours. But she couldn't stay there for another minute. Everyone was busy bragging about the recent raid, praising Korra about how she drove the Avatar so mad that she had splitted the Air Temples from the mainland, while Korra felt awful about it all. The few days after the raid, she had gotten reading materials about the Air Nomads, and what she read just made her feel more and more guilty. They sounded like sweethearts, she couldn't see how they were a threat to the Equalist cause. It was evident that Amon was going after the weak, the ones that would barely defend themselves, and would never strike back. This made her sick to her stomach. There was absolutely no justification to what happened, and she had to clear her mind.

She wore a scarf over the bottom half of her face and enough makeup to make a monkey look like an elephant, so that she wouldn't be recognized, and slipped outside. She knew where she was going, she was going to her favorite spot in Republic City– The southern watertribe culture museum. And no, she didn't love it because it 'reminded her of home'. Fuck that, and fuck the southern watertribe. No, she loved it for one reason, and one reason only. 

Just outside the main building, was a small town square with a big statue right in the middle. The place was usually empty, but Korra liked that. It felt more personal when no one was present, and it put her mind at ease.

She walked over to the golden plack placed at the bottom of the statue, reading its contents. 

'Chief Sokka of the southern water tribe.

May he rest in peace.'

"Hey, dad." She smiled sadly. "I missed you."

She could envision him smiling back at her. 'I missed you too, kid.' He would say. But the only thing she was met with, was absolute silence. She hated life without him. She hated having to deal with Tonaraq and Senna, she hated having no parents, and she hated not having anyone to share her interest in inventing gadgets, and no one to confide with. She hated how in everyone's eyes Tonraq was great, even though he is the worst father and worst chief ever.

"I wish I had your advice now, dad." Korra's gaze fell to the floor as she sat on the bench next to her. "Everything is so complicated here. I wish you could help me with this crisis."

She leaned forward. "You were friends with benders, with the Avatar. Would you even approve of my actions now?" Korra said, feeling tears starting to burn in her eyes. "You had a friend, his name was Aang and he was an air nomad. I met him, y'know? But not under good circumstances. I was... Attacking his people."

Korra looked away in shame. "I'm not proud of that, I swear. I feel so... Weird. About my actions, my decisions, about... Asami..." She sighed. "I joined the equalists to get justice for what equalists had done to you, and what they'd done to me. But dad, this doesn't feel like justice. If we're attacking the defenseless, what makes us better than benders?" She asked.

Oh, how she wished a response would come. Almost ten years had passed, and she was still so lost without him.

"Are you proud of me, dad?" She then asked, looking at the still statue with teary eyes. "If you could, would you be proud of me?"

Silence.

She sighed.

"Good talk, dad." She mumbled before getting up and walking away.

She started to walk by the sea, looking at the lights of the city reflected on the water. She always hated the water, ever since she was a kid. She hated the water, and she was afraid of it, mostly in large quantities. She never took a bath, for example. Or had been on a cruise for that matter. When she raised her head slightly, she was slightly surprised to see lights from afar. Air Temple Island. She needed to get used to that concept.