Let's Play Detective

Chapter 8: Let's Play Detective

"Claire, wake up!" Claire was shaken awake by Hermione.

Claire sat up in her bed. She didn't remember getting in her bed last night. I must have been really tired. Claire thought. She yawned and grabbed her uniform and a towel. She took a shower and changed into her uniform. She went back to her dorm to grab her bag. Hermione was still in their dorm packing her bag for school.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asked.

Claire shrugged. "I feel a bit better than yesterday. But for some reason I can't even remember getting into bed."

"You looked exhausted, Claire. You must've been completely out of it by the time you made it here from the Deathday party." Hermione said.

"I guess your right," Claire said.

Hermione and Claire began to walk down to the common room.

"So, what happened after I left?" Claire asked.

"I'll tell you when were in the Great Hall." Hermione said.

They met up with Ron and Harry in the common room.

"Morning," Claire said to them.

"Feeling better?" Harry asked.

"Yea, better than yesterday at least," Claire said.

The four friends walked down to the Great Hall. Claire noticed as they entered the hall that the normal chatter seemed to have increased tenfold. They sat at the Gryffindor table.

"Ok, so what exactly happened after I left last night?" Claire asked them.

"When we left the Deathday party, I started to hear a voice," Harry began.

"You started to hear a voice? Harry, I think I'm not the only one who should be catching up on their sleep," Claire said.

"No, listen, Claire," Harry said. "The voice was saying things like 'let me kill' and 'time to kill'."

When Harry said this, Claire had a deja vu moment. Didn't she dream about something like that the first day of school? She shrugged off the feeling and continued to listen to Harry.

"When the voice stopped, Ron, Hermione and I stumbled upon Filch's cat. It had been petrified." Harry said. "And then on the wall there were words written in red: The Chamber of Secrets has been opened. Enemies of the heir, beware."

"Oh my Godric! Did you find out who did it?" Claire asked.

"No, but Filch seemed to think it was Harry." Hermione said.

"Why would Filch think that?" Claire questioned.

"Because I found out he was a Squib." Harry said.

"But you live with muggles- though they aren't very nice- and you're friends with Hermione. You wouldn't do something like that," Claire said. "Well, what happened after you found Filch's cat?"

Harry explained how Malfoy and other students began to show up. Malfoy had said 'You'll be next, Mudbloods!'. Harry then explained how Snape, Filch, Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Lockhart had turned up and they were taken to Lockhart's office. Hermione then said how they had to explain how they were there at the scene of the crime.

"You didn't tell them about the voices, did you?" Claire questioned.

"No, of course not," Hermione said.

"That's good. So, what exactly did you tell them?" Claire asked.

Hermione then said they had been at the deathday party and left because they were tired.