Back to Normal

Chapter 17: Back to Normal

For a moment there was silence as Harry, Ron, Claire, and Lockhart stood in the doorway, covered in muck, slime, and (in Claire's and Harry's case) blood. Then there was a scream.

"Claire!"

It was Mrs. Weasley, who had been sitting crying in front of the fire. She leapt to her feet, closely followed by Mr. Weasley, and both of them flung themselves at her. Harry, however, was looking past them. Professor Dumbledore was sitting at his desk, beaming. Professor McGonagall was next to him, she was taking steadying gasps and clutching her chest. Fawkes flew over to the pedestal behind Dumbledore, perching itself on it. Mrs. Weasley then came over to Harry and Ron and swept them both into a tight embrace.

"You saved her! You saved her! How did you do it?"

"I think we'd all like to know that," Professor McGonagall said weakly.

Mrs. Weasley let go of Harry, who hesitated for a moment before stepping forward and putting the Sorting Hat, the ruby-encrusted sword, and what remained of Riddle's diary on Dumbledore's desk. Harry then began to tell them everything. Claire also cut in a few times to offer her side of the story. When they finished their tale, Dumbledore was looking at the diary.

"Ingenious. Simply…ingenious." Dumbledore said. "Of course, Tom Riddle was probably the most brilliant student Hogwarts has ever seen. I taught him myself fifty years ago. After he left, I would occasionally hear stories of his activities-dark rumors- but after awhile, even the rumors stopped. When he finally resurfaced as Lord Voldemort, most people had completely forgotten the clever Head Boy he'd once been."

"I didn't know whose diary it was, sir." Claire said. "I swear. I found the diary in my trunk the first day of school."

Suddenly, Claire realized something.

"Actually, sir, I think I wasn't meant to have the diary." Claire began.

"What makes you think that?" Dumbledore asked me.

"Well, I remember when Ginny and I were packing our trunks, she threw a book on my bed saying it was mine." Claire said. "I could be wrong but when we went to Flourish and Blotts for our schoolbooks I placed some of my books in Ginny's cauldron. And after that, Mr. Malfoy confronted me and my friends. He took one of Ginny's books and began badmouthing the Weasleys. Mr. Weasley and him got into an argument. I remember Mr. Malfoy placing Ginny's book back into her cauldron but I don't think he just placed Ginny's book in the cauldron. I think he also put that in there to. Ginny must've thought it was mine and given it to me."

"That is a very serious accusation to make, Ms. Smith," Dumbledore said.

"I know. But you see, Harry and I saw him in Knockturn Alley, Floo Powder accident, selling some things at one of the shops." Claire said.

Dumbledore was quiet for a moment absorbing the information. He cleared his throat, "Well, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, why don't you escort Ms. Smith to the infirmary? Do to the circumstances she will not be expelled."

Claire felt as though a weight was lifted off her shoulders. She followed Mr. and Mrs. Weasley to the infirmary.

"A diary that writes back to you!" Mrs. Weasley was now scolding Claire as Madam Pomfrey checked to make sure she was alright. "Honestly, Claire! What were you thinking? Didn't you find that remotely suspicious?"

Claire winced as Madam Pomfrey touched her wrist; she wasn't sure if she was wincing because her wrist was hurting or because Mrs. Weasley was yelling at her.

"You sprained your wrist. Other than that you're perfectly healthy. I'll be right back." Madam Pomfrey left them.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Weasley." Claire said. "Once I wrote in the diary for the first time it was like an addiction. I couldn't stop writing in it. I think that was part of the whole controlling thing."