The Monster Within

Chapter 14: The Monster Within

Harry and Ron were near the Quidditch field waiting for the girls to return. The match was about to begin and they hadn't seen Claire or Hermione yet.

"Do you think they're alright?" Harry asked Ron.

"They're in a library. What could happen?" Ron said. "You'd better get moving. It's nearly eleven. I bet they'll be here any second."

Harry left for the Quidditch field. When Harry was about to mount his broom, Professor McGonagall came half marching, half running across the pitch, carrying an enormous purple megaphone. Harry's heart dropped like a stone.

"This match has been canceled," Professor McGonagall called through the megaphone, addressing the packed stadium. There were boos and shouts. Oliver Wood, looking devastated, landed and ran toward Professor McGonagall without getting off his broomstick.

"But, Professor!" he shouted. "We've got to play- the Cup- Gryffindor-"

Professor McGonagall ignored him and continued to shout through her megaphone:

"All students are to make their way back to the House common rooms, where their Heads of Houses will give them further information. As quickly as you can, please!"

Then she lowered the megaphone and beckoned Harry over to her.

"Potter, I think you'd better come with me…."

Ron then came over to Harry.

"Weasley you'd better come with me as well….."

Ron and Harry followed Professor McGonagall to the infirmary.

"This will be a bit of a shock," Professor McGonagall said in a surprisingly gentle voice as they approached the infirmary. "There has been another attack…another double attack."

Harry's insides did a horrible somersault. Professor McGonagall pushed the door open and he and Ron entered.

Madam Pomfrey was bending over a blonde girl with a prefect badge. And on the bed next to her was-

"Hermione!" Ron groaned.

Harry saw Claire sitting in a chair next to Hermione's bed. Her eyes were slightly puffy and red meaning she had cried. Claire stared blankly at Hermione's petrified form.

"Ms. Smith found them in the library," Professor McGonagall said. "I don't suppose any of you can explain this? It was on the floor next to them…."

She was holding up a small, circular mirror. Claire recognized the mirror as she had seen Hermione use it several times. However, Claire felt there was another reason why she remembered.

"It was Hermione's mirror." Claire said quietly.

"I will escort you back to Gryffindor Tower," Professor McGonagall said heavily. "I need to address the students in any case."

Claire, Harry, and Ron followed Professor McGonagall to Gryffindor Tower. When they were in Gryffindor Tower, Professor McGonagall began to address all the Gryffindors.

"All students will return to their House common rooms by six o'clock in the evening. No student is to leave the dormitories after that time. You will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No student is to use the bathroom unaccompanied by a teacher. All further Quidditch training and matches are to be postponed. There will be no more evening activities. I need hardly add that I have rarely been so distressed. It is likely that the school will be closed unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught. I would urge anyone who thinks they might know anything about them to come forward." She climbed somewhat awkwardly out of the portrait hole, and the Gryffindors began talking immediately.