Hermione's Realization

Chapter 13: Hermione's Realization

It had been nearly four months since Justin and Nearly Headless Nick had been petrified. There had not been one attack since that day and everyone seemed to think whoever the attacker was had retired for good. People had stopped treating Harry harshly and it seemed the Mandrakes would soon be ready to revive those who were petrified.

The second years were given something new to think about during their Easter holidays. The time had come to choose their subjects for third year, a matter that Hermione, at least, took very seriously.

"It could affect our whole future," she told Claire, Harry, and Ron as they poured over lists of new subjects, marking them with checks.

Claire looked over the list of subjects. "What are you taking?"

"I heard Divination is really easy," Ron said. "I'll probably do that one and Care of Magical Creatures."

"You shouldn't choose a class because it's easy, Ron," Hermione said. "We come here to learn."

Ron ignored her and checked off Divination and Care of Magical Creatures. Harry decided on those two classes as well. Hermione ended up checking off all of them. Claire ultimately decided on Divination, Care of Magical Creatures, and Muggle Studies.

"Hermione, are you sure you'll be able to handle all those classes?" Claire asked her after seeing she checked them all.

"Of course. I see you decided to take an extra class." Hermione said.

"Yea, I couldn't decide and just chose those three." Claire said. "Hermione, promise me if it gets too much to handle that you'll drop some of the classes, ok?"

"Alright, I promise." Hermione said.

The next Quidditch match had finally come. Harry, Claire, Hermione, and Ron were walking to collect Harry's Quidditch things. As soon as they set foot on the marble staircase Harry and Claire heard a voice.

"Kill this time…..let me rip….tear…."

"The voice!" Harry said suddenly, looking over his shoulder causing Hermione, Claire, and Ron to jump in surprising. "I just heard it again- didn't you?"

"Yea, what the heck was that all about?" Claire questioned. "Do you think it's really going to kill this time?"

"Harry!" Hermione said suddenly, clapping her hand to her forehead. "I think I've just understood something! Claire, come with me to the library!"

Before Claire could say anything, Hermione grabbed her hand and they rushed to the library.

"Good luck at the match, Harry!" Claire told him as they left the boys bewildered.

They were soon at the library and Hermione was scanning the bookshelves.

"Hermione," Claire began. "Would you mind explaining what the heck is going on?"

"I think I know what the monster is." Hermione said excitedly. "Think about it, Claire. The Chamber of Secrets can only be opened by the Heir of Slytherin. The Slytherin house symbol is-"

"A serpent!" Claire said finally catching on. "A snake is the monster. So that would mean whoever the Heir of Slytherin is can speak Parseltongue."

"It would make perfect sense. After all, Salazar Slytherin was a Parselmouth as well." Hermione said, pulling off a book from the shelf. "And it would also explain why Harry can understand the monster. This book should help us with exactly what type of snake it is."

Hermione opened the book that was titled Most Macabre Monstrosities. She began scanning the pages. Claire also looked over the pages. Hermione stopped on a page with a Basilisk. Claire read the page.

Of the many fearsome beasts and monsters that roam our land, there is none more curious or more deadly than the Basilisk, know also as the King of Serpents. This snake, which may reach gigantic size, and live many hundreds of years, is born from a chicken's egg, hatched beneath a toad. Its methods of killing are most wondrous, for aside from its deadly and venomous fangs, the Basilisk has a murderous stare, and all who are fixed with the beam of its eye shall suffer instant death. Spiders flee before the Basilisk, for it is their mortal enemy, and the Basilisk flees only from the crowing of the rooster, which is fatal to it.

"I think we found our monster," Claire said.

"It all adds up," Hermione said.

"Spiders!" Claire said. "When we went to the scene of the first attack remember the spiders? They looked as though they were trying to run away from the scene. Now, we know why."

"But it says its murderous stare can kill someone. Everyone has been petrified, not killed." Hermione said.

"But remember you said there was water on the floor at the first attack." Claire said.

"The cat saw the Basilisk's eyes reflection in the water." Hermione said. "Colin was found with his camera so he must've seen it through the lens. And I bet Justin saw the Basilisk through Nearly Headless Nick. But how was it maneuvering throughout the school unseen?"

"The pipes!" Claire said suddenly.

"Of course, that's why Harry kept hearing voices behind the walls. We've found the monster! " Hermione said ecstatic.

Suddenly, Claire began to hear a voice.

"Time to kill….let me kill…."

"Claire, are you alright?" Hermione noticed Claire was turning paler.

Claire shook her head. "I think the monster has found us. Do you have a mirror?"

Hermione looked at Claire as though she had lost her mind. Then realization hit her. "You can speak Parseltongue, too. You can hear the monster."

Claire nodded. Hermione looked in her bag and pulled out a mirror. "Hold on. I have to do something."

Hermione ripped the page out of the book and wrote pipes at the bottom of the page. "Just in case we don't make it in time to someone this will give Harry and Ron a hint. C'mon, we need to get out of here before-"

"What are you two doing?" They turned to see Penelope Clearwater. Penelope Clearwater was one of the Prefects.

"Listen, you have to get out of here. The monster is coming!" Hermione said hastily.

"That is not something to joke ab-" She stopped talking when they heard a hissing noise.

"What do we need to do?" Penelope asked.

"We have to get out of the library and tell one of the teachers before it comes near us. Whatever happens don't look directly in its eyes." Hermione explained.

They slowly crept down the aisles of books using the mirror to look behind them. Suddenly, Claire's head began to hurt. She stopped abruptly.

"Claire?" Hermione looked back to see that Claire had stopped. Hermione went towards Claire and when Claire opened her eyes they were a milky white. Hermione jumped back in fright.

"Is she alright?" Penelope asked.

Hermione grabbed Penelope's hand and began running from Claire.

"What are you doing? We can't just leave her back there!" Penelope shouted.

"Don't you understand?" Hermione said exasperated. "Add all the pieces together and Claire's the Heir of Slytherin! She just doesn't know it! You saw her eyes, she is being controlled. Now the question is by who?"

"Me." They used the mirror to look behind them and they saw Tom Riddle.

The last thing Hermione and Penelope saw was the Basilisk eyes in Hermione's mirror.