The Heir of Slytherin

Chapter 16: The Heir of Slytherin

Harry and Ron creeped up the stairwell that led to the second floor corridor. They peered around the corner and saw Professor McGonagall as well as the rest of the teachers looking at a wall.

"As you can see, the Heir of Slytherin has left another message. Our worst fear has been realized. A student has been taken by the monster into the Chamber itself. I'm afraid we shall have to send the students home. I'm afraid this is the end of Hogwarts." Professor McGonagall said solemnly.

Suddenly, they saw Lockhart appear.

"So sorry. Dozed off. What have I missed?" Lockhart said cheerily.

"Just the man." Snape began. "A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Your moment has come at last."

"My m-moment?" Lockhart stuttered.

"Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?" Snape questioned.

"D-did I?" Lockhart said. "I don't recall…."

"That settles it. We'll leave it to you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy. Your skills, after all, are legend." Professor McGonagall said.

"V-very well. I'll-I'll be in my office, getting-getting ready." Lockhart then left them.

"The rest of us should go and inform the students what has happened." Professor McGonagall told the rest of the teachers.

"Who is it the monster's taken, Minerva?" Professor Sprout asked.

"Claire Smith." Professor McGonagall said.

Harry felt his heart drop. He turned to Ron who looked pale. Once the teachers were gone, Harry and Ron looked at the wall the teachers were looking at. On the wall written in blood were the words: Her skeleton will lie in the Chamber forever.

Harry and Ron were walking down a corridor. They were both shaken up from hearing the news that their friend was taken by the monster.

"I'm telling you Harry." Ron began. "The monster wanted to finish what it started. She was in the library with Hermione. Hermione ended up petrified but she didn't. I bet it wasn't too happy with that. I bet Claire found out who the Heir was to by that incident. I mean, Claire's not a muggleborn. There can't be any other reason."

"Well, let's go see Lockhart. He may be a brainless git, but he's going to try and get into the Chamber. We can tell him what we know…" Harry said.

"Harry. D'you think there's any chance at all she's not, you know-"

Harry knew what Ron was about to say and shook away the thought. "We'll find her, Ron. Claire's going to be fine…"

Ron nodded. Harry had trouble believing what he just said. Could she still be alive? he thought. She has to be.

They soon entered Lockhart's office.

"Professor, we've got some information for you-" Harry stopped dead in his tracks as he saw Lockhart's office was stripped to the shelves. There were two trunks that were open.

"Are you going somewhere?" Ron questioned.

"Um, well, yes." Lockhart said uneasily. "Urgent call. Unavoidable. Got to go…."

"What about our friend?" Harry said.

"Well, as to that-most unfortunate. No one regrets more than I-"

"You're the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher!" Ron shouted. "You can't go now!"

"I must say, when I took the job, nothing in the job description-"