27. Playing with Fire

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." (Anton Chekhov)

Now what?

What was he supposed to tell his other two mates? 

There was no use in saying something along the line of "It's not what you think." He was bent over a desk, his redish ass up in the air, for Christ's sake. What was going on here was pretty telling.

Still, he had to try something. Anything.

"It's not what you guys think it is", he started, because although he knew it was a lame excuse, he couldn't think of anything better. 

"Oh, really?" Zephyr replied, when he finally regained his voice. "Care to explain why your ass looks like a juicy pomegranate, then?"

"I- ah, yes. You see, my behind was itching..." Fayez started to explain, only to be interrupted by Akhenaton. 

"Ouch, poor little brat. I really hate it when my skin itches."

Was it sarcasm he could hear in the brunet's voice? It was definitely sarcasm. Maybe he should stop with his pathetic attempts of an explanation now, before he made a complete fool out of himself. 

No. Winners never quit and quitters never win, as the saying goes.

"Huh, yeah. Anyway. I asked Ashur for help, so he took a good look at my ass." 

"I like where this is going" Zephyr commented, and although Fayez still had his face pressed against the wooden table, he was pretty sure the blond vampire looked smug right now. 

Better keep going. They would believe him eventually. They had to. 

If the plan doesn't work, change the plan but never the goal. 

"Turned out a MASSIVE mosquito was sucking out my blood. So, Ashur hit my right asscheek in order to kill it."

"I see. My Ashur really is a helpful man." Akhenaton declared, in a conversational manner.

Did someone just stiffle their laughter? No. He probably imagined it. There wasn't anything funny about his made-up story. They were buying it. His two mates were totally buying it.

Believe you can and you're halfway there.

"Sadly, he missed." Fayez resumed. "The mosquito flied to my other asscheek. So, Ashur tried to help me and -" 

"I think we got it, squirrel." Zephyr said, before bursting in laughter, along with Akhenaton. 

So, they didn't believe me in the end. Stupid motivation quotes. 

He thought his story was pretty plausible, so what had gone wrong? Why weren't they convinced?

Maybe he should have put more emotions into his voice. He really needed to level up his actor's game.

"Ake, Zeph, my darlings, I would like for you to wait outside for a minute." Ashur intervened for the first time since his two mates had barged into the office. 

He had spoken to them in a polite and kind manner. Only, it wasn't so much a request as it was an indirect order. Akhenaton and Zephyr knew their mate very well, so they immediately obeyed, no questions asked.

Fayez heard the sound of the door closing, and shyly turned his head so he could catch a glimpse of the prefect standing behind him. 

"You can get up now, Faye." 

"But - "

"Come on, do it. I know you're as hard as a rock, so there's no point hiding it."  

His cheeks now the same colour as his abused ass, Fayez slowly stood up, and turned around to face Ashur, his eyes fixed on the floor. Thankfully, he didn't have to feel embarassed very long, for he was suddenly engulfed in the taller man's embrace.