Chapter 12

"Stuey, where are you taking me?"

Sunlight filtered through the overhead lattice of tree leaves. For about fifteen minutes now, Stu had been guiding you through the thick woods and you'd already tripped twice over some random roots sticking out of the ground.

He found it hilarious, of course.

"Just exploring, sweetheart. Why? You worried I'm gonna kill you?" He looked back at you with a shark grin.

"No. I'm worried you're going to drag me out here and then run away."

He stopped walking and looked at you quizzically. "Jeez, you really think I'd do that?"

You got to where he was standing and stopped as well, unable to surpress your own grin. "Actuallyyy... Yes. You totally would and you know it!"

Stu laughed, genuinely, and intertwined his long fingers with yours to resume your walk. Five minutes later, you reached a clearance. It had fresh grass and as you walked forward, you gasped at the sight in front of you.

Before you was a large, nearly crystal clear lake with lily pads floating on it here and there. The sun cast a beautiful reflection onto the still water and you couldn't help but marvel over it.

"Wow," you breathed. "This is what you wanted to show me?"

"Cool, right?" Stu draped his arm over your shoulder, taking the scenery in as well. Suddenly, he pushed you, making you almost slip and fall into the water, but he quickly pulled you back.

"Ah–! Oh my God, I swear!" You slapped his chest and he laughed again, unaffected by your hit. You sat down on the grass. "How did you know where to find this place?"

It was a genuine question. You never pictured him to be a nature-y kinda guy.

"I didn't," he admitted and plopped down next to you. "I just kept walkin'."

Ah, there we had it. Why was that such a typical Stu answer?

He let himself lay down, hands clasped behind his head. It was quiet and peaceful. This was how you'd happily spend your Saturday afternoon.

It was weird to see someone as full of energy like him so calm and relaxed. But it was certainly refreshing. In the bright light of the sun, his hair appeared bright blond.

"Where's Billy?" You let yourself lower to the grass below you as well.

"Said he's comin' later," Stu replied, looking at you with one eye open. "Why you asking? Ain't my company good enough?" You knew he was joking with that usual wide grin.

You shook your head. "You know I don't–! What are you..."

You burst into laughter when Stu pulled you onto his lap and started tickling your sides. You gasped for air and tried to break free but it was no use. He stopped to hold you firmly into place.

It was silent and for a while, nothing else is said. Only the birds singing and wind moving through the leaves of the trees filled your ears. You let your mind wander as you watched the blades of grass bend in the wind that softly blew your hair to all sides.

Your heart started thrumming in your chest, his pretty eyes holding yours with a look of longing laced in them. It was hard to explain the urge taking you over as you lowered yourself, still straddling him, and your face hovered only inches above his.

Your eyes drifted over to Stu's lips, his hands roaming freely over your back before they settled on your ass, giving it a squeeze.

Stu was the one to move and closed the distance between you, capturing your lips with his. A jolt of electricity sparkee through every vein in your body and butterflies flapped in your stomach in sync with the beat of your heart as his lips caressed against yours.