Chapter 23

You fought back the urge to cry over the betrayal ripping at your insides, swallowing the vomit in your throat when you realized how ignorant you have been.

There had been so, so many red flags that you blissfully ignored.

Your hands clamped over your mouth. You should have known to stay away after your gut feeling was practically screaming at you that day by the lake.

You had to will yourself not to stare at Sidney's dead body.

Sidney... Not just Sidney. Tatum... Randy... Ryan... They all bit the dust.

Your friends were all gone because of these two.

They were so young.

Too young.

The two teens were watching with interest as you were getting worked up, and they were loving every second of it, even though your anger was directed at them.

Your eyes changed. Something had snapped, like a dam breaking open. In your eyes was an expression that they'd never seen anyone but each other make.

Stu buried his head in your shoulder, leaving soft kisses on it and on the top of your head.

You were frozen on the spot, trying to push away this foreign and unpleasant feeling engulfing every part of your body with all your might.

You managed to regain your composure, but no matter what was going to happen tonight, you knew these two had left a permanent mark on you, and not just physically.

You forced the words out through your dry throat. "You guys are monsters..."

"Hmm," Billy hummed as if he was holding some secret only him and you knew. His next words made you visibly flinch. "But you like us."

You squeezed your eyes shut. No, no, no. These are not the same boys you'd fallen for. "You killed the people I cared about! What makes you think I still like you?"

Billy's eyes narrowed dangerously and Stu's expression turned from extremely delighted to annoyed. "You don't get it, do you?"

"You're always gonna be ours! No way you're not."

"You'll get used to it–"

"–And love us back just as much!"

"But you already do don't you, love?" Billy gently lifted your cowering face upwards. You reopened your eyes to meet his dark ones that reflected the words exchanged between you two earlier.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Billy."

Part of you still denied the truth. The harsh, undeniable truth that these killers not only took your friends from you, but also your heart.

You could deny it all you want, but it wouldn't change anything.

Satisfied seeing your internal struggle, Billy then turned to Stu with the knife, cracking his neck and shoulders.

"Ready?"

"Yeah..."

Stu urged you aside gently as Billy pulled the knife back and brought it forward quickly, stabbing into Stu who stumbled to his knees, wincing in pain.

You shrieked as blood gushed out, real blood. Dark, deep red and thick.

Stu inspectwd the wound to his side and smiled like a maniac. "Good one. My turn."