Chapter 3

Around four years ago, a year after Kenma graduated from high school, his parents decided to send him abroad to get treated. Apparently there is a healthcare facility abroad that aims to research on people with rare conditions like Kenma's case.

Because he is someone who is unable to feel physical pain.

And because he is unable to feel pain, he has been emotionally and empathetically detached. He doesn't care about what others feel, because he doesn't feel the same thing. Kenma has always believed, and he knew for a long time now, that when one can't feel pain, that person does not care about other's pain either.

As he sat in the plane comfortably, a videogame in hand, Kenma can feel a pair of eyes on him.

Even if he doesn't care what anyone feels, he is still aware of his surroundings and from his peripheral vision, he can see a kid around five or seven year old, looking at the game Kenma is playing. And the kid is looking so intently that Kenma unconsciously turned to the side as he crouched down more.

It's not that he couldn't focus on his game when someone is staring at him, but he still finds it hard, especially when there are so many people.

"Onii-chan," the boy said and Kenma slightly flinched.

He's been ignoring the kid as much as he can, and it hasn't been five minutes yet he's already talking to him. No wonder why kids easily get kidnap, Kenma thought.

"Onii-chan," he said again, tilting his head and Kenma paused the game he is playing before he slowly look at the kid. "When you lose, let me play."

Kenma was silent for a second. The kid didn't even ask, but he's smiling. Kenma wondered if he's used to getting what he wants and if he doesn't get it will he throw a tantrum. They're in a plane, but they will be arriving soon.

"Play?" Kenma asked before he felt the side of his lips turning up in a slight smirk, though it's almost unnoticeable. "If I lose, I'll let you play."

"That's what I just said!"

"Bold of you to assume I'll lose."

Of course, Kenma didn't lose. Half an hour later the kid finally had enough and started to get Kenma's attention.

"Onii-chan, it's my turn now!"

"But I haven't lost yet," Kenma muttered, his eyes focused on the game as his fingers moved hastily.

"Ah, but you've been playing for so long now! No fair!"

If there are two things Kenma hate right now, it's the long hour of flight and a kid screaming beside him. If Kenma knew he would be sitting next to an annoying kid, he'd have cancelled his flight.