Chapter 22

Sometimes it amuses you, how nightmares would find you in the most vulnerable time. Always, always when you are the most defenseless, it would mock you with the memories you so wanted to bury at the back of your mind.

Maybe they're right when they say that minds work in a way that when one wants to forget something, that particular thing will end up being remembered the most.

One thing's for sure, as much as it amuses you, you loathed being awakened in the middle of the night feeling your heart beating rigidly and sweats covering your forehead. As your eyes adjusted to the dimly lit room, you tore your gaze from the dull ceiling to look at the person sleeping beside you.

Kenma is sleeping soundly, like a cat you thought.

You wanted to touch his hair, brush it away from his face because it looks like it's bothering him. But just as when you lifted your hand, he suddenly moved and rolled on his back. You thought for a second that he's awake, but his even breathing convinced you otherwise.

Without making as much noise as possible, you climbed down from the bed, not bothering to wear any robe despite to cold night since you still feel the remnants of the nightmare like cinders of a dying fire.

Heading to the kitchen, you poured yourself a glass of cold water and took out two pills, gulping it down as you downed the cold water soothing your throat in the process. You stood there for a while, just letting the dimly lit surrounding engulf you in its embrace before you went back to your room only to see Kenma is awake.

"Kenma," you called, making your way to the bed as he averted his eyes at you. "Were you worried that I was gone?"

"No," he said as you climbed back on the bed, you leaned towards him and look him in the eye.

"You're a terrible liar." You cupped his face, your nails almost digging on the flesh of his cheeks before you lowered your hand and leaned back, lying down as you pulled the sheet up to your stomach.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Nightmare," your answer was short and simple.

"Everybody has one."

You heard Kenma said that in his usual nonchalant voice as if he could care less. But in contrast to his words, you felt his arm snaking around your waist and his warmth engulfed you soon after. Before you knew it, you rolled on your side and buried your face on his chest.

No, you didn't cry.

But it was more like no, you don't want to cry.

You are being comforted for the first time so you don't understand why the tears needed to betray you a few moments later. You've cried before, albeit out of frustration and anger, after waking up from the same nightmare. The only difference was before there was no one there to engulf you in warmth akin to home. So now, you don't understand why the difference still has the same outcome.