1.6 | one letter at a time

It had been almost two weeks since Draco and Theo visited Sage for the twin's birthday. Thirteen days to be exact, not two weeks like everyone kept saying. Tomorrow would be two weeks, but today was only thirteen days.

Sage had fallen into a very sour mood—depression-like if you must. This wasn't a complete shock to anyone, as they knew Sage suffered from the mental illness, and had since the day she showed up at Nadia and Zander's door a few years ago.

Some would tell her to "snap out it, it's been two weeks already" or "you'll see them again." That's the thing though, isn't it? She may not see them again. She may never lay her head on her brother's shoulder or hold her best friend's hand again. Because there was a war. A war where no one will really win. A war where casualties will be lost on both sides. A war where blood will be spilled and green lights will kill. So she fell into a slump, a cold, dark, and scary slump that was void of emotion.

Unfortunately for Sage, this mental illness ran in her family. Her mother had suffered from it, being married to Theodore Nott Sr. Her mother's mother also suffered from it due to losing her husband at a young age.
Fortunately, Sage's parents were able to get her into a healer, or a therapist as 'no-maj's' put it.

When it got bad like now, Sage would see Doctor Charles multiple times a week. He would help her sort her issues, work with her on eating three full meals again, and helped her make goals so she would have a reason to get out of bed. Doctor Charles was no saint, but in the eyes of the broken and scared little girl who he helped get out of her head, he was the closest thing to one.

Every letter Sage had sent in those last thirteen days was left unanswered. She was constantly anxious and paranoid something had happened. She'd visit the owlery every morning after breakfast and every night before bed.

Questions swirled through her mind at all times of the day; Did someone find out she was alive? Did something happen to Theo? To Draco? Hogwarts? Did He stop all incoming letters to the country?

Constantly, Sage found herself looking over her shoulder. Everyone noticed it, including friends and professors.

One day after Transfiguration, Professor Snowhawk had pulled her aside, "Sage, how are you?"

She controlled her face, "I'm good professor, how are you?"

Professor Snowhawk eyed her skeptically, "I'm good. Are you sure, Sage? You've been off for a few days, has your dep-"

"I'm fine, truly professor. I have a session with Doctor Charles tonight. There's no reason to worry, we have it all under control," she smiled, trying to convince the lady in front of her, who knew she did not have it under control.

"If you say so. My door is always open, Sage," she said, small crinkles by her eyes formed as she smiled.

"Of course, professor, thank you," she said, and bowed her head slightly, leaving the classroom, desperate to flee the feeling of suffocation the room brought.

She stumbled out into the hallway and made a beeline towards her common room. She ran into the library and yanked on the right set of books, opening the door. Turquoise and Gold engulf her, a victorian style room littered with other students.

She dashed to the left set of staircases and tumbled, with grace, down them. To those around her she looked calm and elegant, a true pureblood princess, but, to anyone who knew her, who knew her tics, she looked the complete opposite.

Her hair was, still, in its perfect updo of two french braids pulled into a low bun and her face was rock-solid—showing no emotion. But her eyes, they told a story, showed a play. She was hurt and scared and alone.

Before she could even put her hand on the knob of her door it flung open, revealing a relived Grace.

She threw her arms around Sage, "Oh you weren't at lunch, we were all so worried, Sagie," she paused looking into her friend's eyes, "Sage- Sage what's wrong?"

The use of her full name made her snap, tears rushed down her face. She brought a hand up to her mouth to smother the sobs coming out. Within a second, Grace pulled Sage into her warm, maternal embrace.

Small pale arms wrapped around her, one hand rubbing up and down her back to try and soothe her.

Grace guided them deeper into the room, letting the door slam shut.

In all her panicking, Sage didn't realize Grace had sat them down on her bed or sent a message to their friends to come to their dorm. She didn't realize there were five sets of worried eyes on her. She didn't realize that the sun had gone to bed for the day or that she was shaking like a leaf in the wind.

She looked up at Grace, "Something's wrong."

clearly, was the unsaid thought of the room.

The brown-haired witch raised her hand and wiped her friend's tear-stained face, "What do you mean, Sagie? What's wrong?"

Sage opened her mouth only to choke on a sob that was captured in her throat.

Willow came forward and placed cool hands on her friend's head, whispering ancient calming spells, "Breath sweetheart, breath."

Sage took a few deep breaths and relaxed into Willow's touch. "What's wrong," Leah asked again, in a soft, soothing voice.

"Somethings wrong with the boys," Sage cried, clutching her chest, screaming as if someone was stabbing her repeatedly and yanking her heart from its cage of ribs. The girls, besides Jasmine, ran to her side, trying to pinpoint the pain. Jasmine, who studied twin bonds for class, sat back with a horrified expression. She covered her mouth with her hand as tears poured from her eyes.

As soon as the words left her mouth, Sage's owl knocked on the window with another returned letter. The scroll was in perfect condition, seal intact, ribbon-tied, all but the wear of the trip to and back from England.

This was how they've all come back. Sealed, Tied. Unread. One letter at a time.

•••
A.N.
let me know how y'all liked this chaired