Someone Cares

Zoe had been awake all night, and now she was plum exhausted. She'd been so excited, hardly able to believe that she, Zoe Lee herself had been entrusted with the bee miraculous to help Ladybug and Cat Noir save the day. It had been like a dream, so magical and satisfying.

Now, came the after-effects. Chloe, naturally, ignored Zoe unless she had something rude to say. Which, today, she still seemed upset about the whole ordeal. At least Shadowmoth couldn't acumatize her anymore, Zoe thought. She didn't know why, but when she saw Chloe that morning, she felt guilty. If there was one thing Chloe couldn't stop talking about, it was that she was a hero, Queen Bee. Now, Zoe had, in a sense, taken her place and became the new one. Chloe had more than lost her privilege to wear that miraculous, but it still didn't sit right with Zoe. Did she really deserve it? She didn't know. But she knew for a fact that if Chloe found out, she would never forgive her.

Chloe stalked down into the lobby of the hotel as furiously as she could. There was nothing, nothing good at all about this life. She looked around her and sent a nasty glare towards anyone who eyed her. They didn't deserve to be in her presence.

And then there was Zoe. She was smiling slightly in Chloe's direction, in an almost welcoming way. Why did she have to be like that? Why did she have to be so innocent and perfect? Even her own father liked Zoe more, who wasn't even his daughter. It wasn't fair. Chloe wanted that attention. It should all belong to her.

After sending Zoe an extra mean glower, she headed straight for the door. She didn't want to stay here with all of these lowly peasants. She wanted to shop.

As she neared the door leading outside, Chloe spotted a familiar figure, right in front of her. Luka? "What are you doing here?" she demanded. What was he doing here? And why was she starting to panic inside?

Luka smiled, despite Chloe's hard glare. "I came to see my father," he said.

"Your father, is here?" That sounded unbelievable. "Are you sure he could even afford to spend a night here?" Chloe laughed, but Luka just stood there, looking a little stiff.

"He lives here, actually," Luka said quietly a minute later.

Chloe blinked rapidly a few times. He lived here? There were only a few guests who stayed here full time.

"Luka! You're here!" Jagged Stone came out of nowhere and pulled Luka into a somewhat awkward hug.

Chloe blinked rapidly a few times. What? Jagged Stone, THE Jagged Stone was Luka's father? "I did not see that coming," she muttered to herself. Well, looks like she wasn't the only one with family issues.

"Come on, I want you to check out my rockin' new song!" Jagged Stone led Luka further into the hotel.

"Bye," Luka said to Chloe before he was too far away.

That was weird, Chloe thought to herself. It made her wonder just for a second there if she was the only one who had some family issues.

***

Zoe didn't have much planned for today. Nothing really. It was a Saturday, and although Marinette and some of her other friends had invited Zoe to go to a picnic at the park, she had politely declined. She liked being around her friends and all, but she also liked to have a little time to herself.

"Your lunch, miss," one of the waiters said down in the eating area of the Bourgois hotel.

"Thank you," Zoe said with a smile. She was midway through her sandwich when Luka walked over to her.

"Hello," he said.

"Hi," Zoe said. "Come, take a seat." Luka did so, also ordering a sandwich for himself. "So, what are you up to?" Zoe asked. She wasn't the best at starting a conversation, but she knew Luka could be fun if not, interesting to talk to.