Comforting Friends

Okay, Chloe had to admit that Luka was pretty cool, even if he did get his clothes from a dumpster. He was always so calm and relaxed, and he listened to you no matter what. That was why Chloe often found herself talking to him, almost any time she could. She did it discreetly- without anyone noticing really. It wasn't unusual for her to say she was going for a walk, then somehow wind up at the Couffaine's houseboat.

Luka didn't seem to mind talking to her, which Chloe found a little odd. She had to admit, at times, she could be a real drama queen. She tried her best not to let things bug her, but sometimes they did anyway.

Sometimes she talked to Luka about worrying about what others thought about her, and other times she was more concerned about herself, and rather she really could be good or not. Chloe almost always found herself feeling better after she talked to him.

Other days, Chloe didn't say anything at all. She just found Luka, rather he was at the deck, or in his room, and she took a seat and stayed to herself. He didn't ask any questions, just let her ponder by herself. Chloe couldn't explain it- it just felt better having him there.

"Hey Chloe," Zoe said one morning, popping into her room.

"Why do you wake up so early all the time?" Chloe asked a little grumpy as she closed her eyes again.

"It's best to get a headstart on the day. After all, the early bird gets the worm," Zoe replied in that positive attitude of hers.

"But it's the weekend," Chloe mumbled. She threw a pillow on her face. Sometimes it was nice having a sister, and sometimes, it wasn't. "So what do you want?"

Zoe folded her arms together. "Today Marinette and some other friends from school were going to hang out at the park for a picnic. I wondered if you wanted to go."

"I want to sleep," Chloe said. She readjusted her sleeping mask for about the thousandth time.

"Luka's going to be there," Zoe chimed in.

Chloe jerked straight up in her bed. "Wait, really?" she didn't know that. Her heart was already starting to pound. "Then let's get ready!"

She was halfway to her closet when Zoe giggled. "I knew you'd want to go when I told you that," she said with a mischievous smile.

"What? What do you mean?" Chloe demanded, placing a firm hand on her hip.

"Isn't it pretty obvious Chloe? You like Luka, don't you?"

Chloe blushed bright red. "W-what?" she hadn't seen that coming. Was it that obvious? "No, no, he's just a friend." Chloe turned away and bit her tongue. Was he though?

"Sure, sure," Zoe said while shaking her head. Like she believed that. 

"Well, he is." Even Chloe didn't believe it. Okay, maybe she did feel a little something for him. But like he would ever love her back if anything happened between them. Luka was just a kind person, Chloe said to herself.

***

The picnic actually turned out to be a lot of fun. After a couple of months, Chloe felt a lot more comfortable around her classmates, where she could joke around, without worrying about them judging her. It took a while to gain their friendship, but now that she had it, she realized just how much she had missed out on.

"And then Adrien fell right off the last step, straight into the pudding!" Chloe said, recalling one of her favorite childhood memories with Adrien. Everyone erupted into laughter at her funny tale.

"I didn't know Adrien was so clumsy," Marinette remarked.

"Just like someone else we know, hmm?" Alya playfully nudged Marinette's shoulder, causing her to almost tumble over on her side. Once again, everyone started laughing.