Mending Family Bonds

If there was one thing both Chloe and Zoe wanted to change, it was their mother. Ever since they could remember, all the two sisters had ever wanted was her love. But did they have it? Was it possible to have? It would be a surprise if Audrey Bourgeois loved anything. But because they were family, they had to try.

"This is never going to work," Chloe said, not afraid to speak her mind.

Zoe flopped back down onto the couch. "Why not?" she asked, as if Chloe had not told her that fifty million times.

"For one, she's our mother. She's never going to agree to go somewhere that she didn't plan."

"Not even if it includes some of the finest foods in all of Paris?" Zoe said.

"Well, at least there's a little temptation. And second, what do we hope to accomplish once we get her there?" Chloe crossed her arms, waiting for Zoe to give her a valid answer.

"We mend our bonds. Become a real family that actually cares about each other! Or, at least start with that."

Chloe rolled her eyes. "You're as positive as Ladybug. Maybe even a little more."

Zoe smiled. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"Sure."

"Well, I'm gonna get some fresh air outside before we attempt to try our crazy plan of how to get our mother to change her ways."

Chloe wasn't paying attention. She was still thinking about what she said to Zoe about her being like Ladybug. "It's pretty cool, isn't it?"

"What?" Zoe asked, a little confused.

"Being a superhero."

Zoe froze with shock. "W-what?" she stuttered. How on earth did Chloe know she was Vesperia? Who else knew? Would she get mad? Would their sister bond end? Her heart started beating a little too quickly.

"I know your Vesperia. I know you have the bee miraculous. I saw. Or, rather, heard. But I'm not mad. Not anymore."

Zoe felt herself calm down a bit. "Really? I, I, didn't tell you because, well, it was yours first. I didn't want it to seem like...I was trying to steal it from you."

Chloe shook her head. "Yeah, that's what I thought at first. But, know I see, that I'm not Queen Bee anymore. And it's my fault. I was reckless, and I did a lot of bad things. I don't deserve it, but that doesn't mean no one else gets it just because I miss it."

Zoe sat back down, right beside Chloe. "What matters is that you can see that now. Being able to accept it is what truly makes you a hero. And no matter what happens, you'll always be Queen Bee to me."

Chloe smiled, and before she knew it, Zoe had pulled her into yet another hug. She did that a lot, and surprisingly, Chloe had grown to like it. It was so warm, inviting, it felt like someone actually cared for once. Having a sister was the best thing in the world, she realized.

***

To Chloe's surprise, Zoe's plan actually worked. She had to admit, when she wanted to be, Zoe could be a pretty dang good actress. No wonder Chloe hadn't been able to tell the difference between her faking it and being sincere.

It was that very evening when they got their mother, and father too, to go to a fancy restaurant in Paris together. Chloe was nervous, and so was Zoe. That's why they were holding hands. But only when their mother wasn't looking. She probably wouldn't know what to think when she found out that her daughters weren't really mean and pushy like her at all. Which was exactly why both of them were scared. Was it possible for them to mend their family bonds?