21

He writhed in pain for a few seconds, before he felt his head split open and something came out. The same thing happened with his backside, although that one kept growing for longer. He let out a howl of pain and he fell to his knees, panting. Is it over? What the hell just hap- his tail flicked. Wait a minute. Killua glanced behind him and his eyes widened when he saw a white cat tail waving slowly in the air behind him. "what the hell just happened?" the lower moon scoffed. "you've never had a shift before? They hurt like hell" a shift. Interesting. "no, but apparently I'm a cat" he felt his head, and sure enough there were fluffy ears up there. The only thing that was remotely alarming was the blood. "how exactly do shifts happen?" he asked curiously. The lower moon sighed. "you really are an idiot" Killua let that bounce off him, he wanted to learn. But then he glanced up at the sky. "wait a second" he grabbed the lower moon and bolted back to his cave. It took a few minutes, but he managed to get him in just before the sun rose.

"sorry, but it would have been pretty bad if the sun got to you" he huffed. "anyways, when a demon acquires some of the master's blood, they shift." he blinked. "so, you had some of the master's blood?" that was interesting information. "all demons have some, but the twelve kizuki have the most" he said. "Ah, does this happen every time?" he shook his head as best he could. "no, though I've never heard of a demon feeding on other demons" he rubbed the back of his head. "well, I kind of have my memories from when I was human" his eyes widened. "really?" Killua nodded. "yeah. I actually have a friend that I was with..." he trailed off, his eyes watering a little. "but I can't resist the urge to eat. I promised myself that I wouldn't go back until I found a way to not feed on humans" the lower moon sighed. "I only remember a few things from when I was human" he said sadly. "I remember getting beaten by my father every day" out of all the memories you could possibly have, why does he have to remember that one?

"well, I'll have you know that you're lucky" he took off his fur that he used as a shirt, and turned. "holy shit- what the hell happened to you?" he chuckled. "as a human, I was trained as an assassin. I was pretty much forced to kill people from a young age. This is what my family calls training" he didn't know why he felt like talking to this nearly dead demon, but he did. "Oh, the name's Killua by the way" the lower moon blinked. "I don't have a name" he thought for a moment, then his eyes landed on a red fox shaped mark on his face. "Akastune, that's your new name"

  "Akastune, that's your new name"

He sighed. "what good's a name if I'm going to die soon anyways?" he frowned slightly. "Damn it, I can't kill you now. Not when I've gotten attached" and that was actually kind of true, Akastune was growing on him a little. Not to mention he could learn all about what it meant to be a demon from him. Akastune's eyes widened. "you're not going to kill me?"

He shrugged. "I mean, I was, but I guess if you teach me about demon things I could let you live" he held up a hand. "also, you have to promise to feed on other demons and not humans. It's not too bad, and it boosts your strength more than a mere human would" he helped Akastune sit up, propped onto the wall in a more natural position. "also, the Oni Kusuri should wear off before nightfall" he chuckled. "how did you even come up with that idea?" he rubbed the back of his head. "well, I tried feeding on a demon and it kind of screamed really loudly. I thought that it would be more humane to do it that way, I don't like torturing people" that got him an alarmed look. "hold on, you said you were an assassin" Killua sighed. "yes, I do know how to torture properly. The funny thing is I actually killed more people as a human then I have as a demon"

They talked for a few hours, about how demons worked and such when Akastune asked something unexpected. "I wonder about this friend you talk about" he blushed slightly. "his name's Gon, I met him with we were twelve" suddenly his eyes widened. "wait a moment, are you blushing?" that made him blush even harder. "NO!" he covered his face with his hands. Damn it. "I thought demons couldn't feel love" he murmured. Killua uncovered his face and blinked a few times at Akastune. "it most likely has to do with the fact that I had a crush on him before I was a demon-" suddenly his thoughts broke off and he paused, tail stiffening. "but I just... ran away- wait, I didn't stop to think how Gon might react!" how long ago was it? Like two weeks since I left?

He stood up, "I have to go back! But..." he paused. "I'd say you solved your issue" Akastune said. He turned to him with a slightly wide eyed expression as he got up and put a hand on his shoulder. "really?" he said, ears perking up. He could finally go see Gon again! "yeah, you can feed off demons instead of humans, I think that's a pretty good substitute" he felt tears come out of the corners of his eyes. "woah!" he wiped his eyes with a smile. "I just, I thought I'd never be able to go back and see him again" Akastune chuckled, "well, how about we wait until nightfall and head off?" he blinked. "you want to come too?" he shrugged. "I got nothing else better to do, might as well come. I could also help you develop some new tricks if you'd like" he grinned. "that would be awesome"

They spent the next three nights walking, Akastune couldn't go as fast as he could and he also couldn't go out during the day. He managed to feed on two demons on the way, teaching Akastune how to do it properly. "I never thought about this, but how old are you?" he asked him. Akastune sighed. "I'm about 25, wait a moment. No I'm more like 40, I was 25 when I got converted" he chuckled. "I'm 14, I think" his eyes widened. "no way! You nearly surpassed me at that age? How long have you been a demon?" he rubbed the back of his head. "I think about nearly five months? Maybe six? It's hard to keep track of time when you've got shit to do" he was starting to like Akastune's company, he was teaching him how to act more human and less demon and it was working quite well. They finally started to ascend the mountain and he paused. "stop" Akastune obeyed instantly, even though he was younger Killua tended to be smarter. "four demon slayers live on this mountain"

Akastune's eyes went wide. "are you sure it's safe?" he winced slightly. "well, I live with them actually. I'd suggest to stay here and out of sight until tomorrow night ok? I'll introduce you then" his tail curled happily just thinking out how he would get to have Gon in his arms again. "alright, I'll find a cave or something" he said, then waved at Killua as he walked away. "SEE YA SOON!" he started to walk up the mountain, humming a little. I'm so fucking excite- he paused, tail and ears flattening. He heard a scream, and it was a familiar one. That was Tanjiro! He started running, activating En. Three demons, Two people. If I can get the jump on one I can get another with my tail. Two meals in one go. And if I'm lucky, I might be able to catch the third before it flees.

He came upon the scene and his eyes slitted, ears flattening and his tail bushed up. One of the demons was standing over Gon, who looked like he was distracted. Tanjiro was trying to defend himself from another and the third seemed to be using some sort of Blood Demon Art to keep the two humans from moving from a small area. Killua let his claws slide out and he snarled, slamming into the one who was on Gon first. There was a gasp as he sank his fangs into its neck. The demon let out a yell as it collapsed, he then leapt at the one who was in the back. "YOU'RE THE TRAITOR!" he screeched, trying to get away. Killua yanked the demon on Tanjiro with his tail backwards a bit, sinking his teeth into its neck while still holding down the leader. "Get off me Hakushi" so that's what I'm called, interesting. He smirked, tail curling a little.

"call me what you want, I'm still gonna do what I always do" Killua bent down, holding the screaming demon down as he used his Oni Kusuri. The demon stopped writhing and he was about to get up when something slammed into him. "KILLUA!" when he turned to look, it was Gon. To his dismay he was sobbing uncontrollably and shaking violently. "Gon!" he wrapped his arms around him and Gon cried into his shoulder. "I thought you would never come back" he said faintly. Killua hugged him tighter. "listen here Gon, I will never leave your side again" he said fiercely. And he planned on it. I promise I'll never leave you like that again.

1660 words

To be continued...