☆I hate that I was yours☆

The breathy mist escaping Hongjoong's lips should have been a sign that it was too early to be up, but since his new roommate, there was no such thing as "too early" anymore. After all, sleep was just a social construct created so that the government could commit crimes at our most vulnerable moments. At least, that was what Hongjoong told himself at night to convince himself to stay up and work for just a few hours longer.

Early morning was always his favourite time on campus. The school was quiet, almost lifeless in a rather peaceful sense. The only ones awake at this ungodly hour were the birds, crazy all-nighters like himself and of course, the staff of his favourite coffee shop.

Mingi greeted him with a cheerful yet tired smile, which earned him a look of concern from his blue-haired hyung. "I think you should clock out Mingi, you look awful." Of course, no matter how sincere, Hongjoong wouldn't be himself if he didn't add some sort of snarky comment at the end of his sentence. But after knowing him for two years, Mingi was completely used to it and even chuckled in agreement.

"I could say the same to you hyung," the barista remarked, the smile still on his lips. Hongjoong watched as he turned around to prepare his drink. At this point, he had come in so many times that the entire staff had his drink schedule memorised since it changed depending on the hour. "Besides, I can't clock out yet. Not when I know you're going to be here for three hours stressing about school work that won't be due for at least two weeks."

Sad but true.

"Touché," Chuckled Hongjoong. He clapped his hands excitedly when Mingi slid over a fresh cup of black coffee. Before he could be warned about its temperature, the blunette put the cup straight to his lips and was then hit with instant regret a moment later.

"Careful, it's hot." Hongjoong glared at the redhead, who only chuckled at the way he fanned his tongue. One might say that it was sad how excited the young man got over a mere cup of plain coffee. But to Hongjoong, this piping hot concoction was a gift to humanity that he would be a fool not to worship.

Their conversation was brief, as Hongjoong told the younger student that he had some work to be done, but Mingi was still sure to check on him from time to time. The term was still fresh yet the work was endless, never-ending at least in Hongjoong's eyes. Overwork yourself, get graded, become disappointed, repeat. It felt like an endless cycle of ridicule and failure. No matter how hard he tried, there was always a little voice in the back of his head telling him to do better. Yet even on his best days, that voice would never go away.

Despite Mingi's and his peers' praise, Hongjoong always felt like he could do more.

That was how he had spent three hours at the cafe, typing away at his laptop, listening to his beats, catching up on school news through a rather popular blog and recording his notes. The Sun had risen by now and the usual flow of normal customers had begun to pour in. Mingi had gone a while back but Hongjoong would be sure to see him later on in class.

The blunette yawned with his arms stretched out high. He had gotten a decent amount done and he had to admit, he was rather proud of the work he had completed. A few hours of sleep sounded like a good reward. With the thought of seeing his bed, Hongjoong gladly began to pack up his belongings. Yet he halted when he noticed something just out of the corner of his eye.

Seonghwa.

Why did he have to be here of all places? Hongjoong cursed under his breath but was glad his presence had gone unseen. Seonghwa was too busy chatting up some girl to take notice of him yet. Or so he thought.

Just when Hongjoong put the last of his things in his bag, he could feel the presence of someone behind him. Though he didn't dare turn around. "Not going to say hi?" The deep voice chuckled. Hongjoong gritted his teeth, resisting the urge to puke at the sound of it.