#030

chapter 30

~tales from the past~

TW: The chapter contains discussion of bullying and loss. As always, I'd recommend you to read with caution<3

The brunette barely noticed the chill of the rain or the time it took for her to reach the hospital. It was not long before she found herself standing in front of the same building that had haunted her dreams for a long time. Only recently had the girl begun to look forward to visiting her sister, but the day's events left her feeling lost, as if her insides were hollowed out.

Even so, Yoon-ah knew well that she couldn't just go back home, as much as every part of her body ached for the comfort of her bed. Hyun-jae was waiting for her, and she couldn't quite bring herself to disappoint the person who was closest to her heart. 

Although the hospital was much warmer than the raging rain outside, the temperature seemed to drop ten-fold as the brunette stepped into the familiar corridor. Yoon-ah wrapped her arms around herself. It was as much to hold herself together as to keep her warm. She pushed open the door to her sister's room using her shoulder alone.

A dim light filled the private room, as usual- the white drapes open, giving an awe-inspiring view of the city. She could almost make out Hyun-jae's silhouette on the elegant bed, with the girl scrolling through her phone idly. 

Yoon-ah almost let out a faint sniffle when she opened her mouth to speak. Biting her lip, she attempted to gather her bearings. "I'm here, Eunnie," the brunette spoke up after a moment's pause, her voice tight. 

A surprised yelp came from her sister's side. Hyun-jae knew she was on the verge of snapping, as she usually did. "Come on in," her sister called. "What's up? Are you okay?"

While Yoon-ah knew that Hyun-jae could not see her at that moment, she nodded her head. She emerged from the shadows and moved into the dimly lit room.

The brunette couldn't quite perceive what had happened after that, in part because of her foggy mind. Her drink lay untouched on the small table between them as she related the incident to her sister, hands clasped tightly in front of her. 

Hyun-jae was already on her third bottle of cranberry juice, her favorite drink, by the time the girl finished recounting her eventful trip. The older girl listened quietly throughout, giving her sister skeptical glances on occasions she knew, just as Yoon-ah did, when she was omitting important details.

After she finished, her sister allowed a faint smile to cross her lips. "You did well- that punk deserved it."

The brunette could not bring herself to reply. Hyun-jae stared at her for a long time, looking as though she wanted to say something. Yoon-ah's jaw clenched. The sisters had never quite had a proper discussion about the topic but it didn't seem so far away at that moment. 

'Are you still thinking of them?' Hyun-jae finally asked, breaking the silence. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." She replied without missing a beat. The answer was too quick to be the truth.

In response to her sister's quirked eyebrows, Yoon-ah turned her gaze elsewhere, gritting her teeth. She knew exactly what her sister was saying; how could she possibly forget it?

She had been bullied mercilessly throughout her childhood: whether it be due to her privileged upbringing, her wildly successful father, her mother- well known as one of the nation's most beloved film stars, or her charming, gorgeous, perfect sister. 

While she was just...just Yoon-ah. A plain, undeserving girl who had been born into the most prestigious household in Korea by sheer, dumb luck. 

It was impossible for the brunette to think of anything she had not been ridiculed for - "her privileges" that were so coveted by so many.