#046

chapter 46

comeback minigame: spot the red flags🚩

"Honestly, Lee Suho," Yoon-ah rolled her eyes, hands resting on the heavy oak door of her grand residence. "You did not have to walk me back."

"Hm, you're welcome," Suho shrugged non-chalantly and tucked his hands into his pockets. It was all a facade, of course. She could tell by the lines under his eyes that he was barely holding back his excitement. He might not have told her what he had said to the older boy, but with him out of the picture, Suho was well on his way to getting closer to Jukyung.

A slow grin spread across her face. "It's hard to believe I'm saying this, but I had fun today."

"You only say that because you got to scruff him up, Yoon-ah," Suho chuckled.

Her own giggle died somewhere in her throat. It wasn't just the sound of her own name on his lips that surprised her, it was also Suho's laughter. She didn't think she had ever heard it before, and it was a damn shame at that. The simple chuckle completely transformed Suho's face, enunciating his smile lines and giving him a much more playful appearance. It was as though she had gotten a glimpse of who the boy was before...whatever happened to him.

She gazed silently at him, admiring the way the porch lighting highlighted his elegant features. Now more than ever, her fingers twitched at her sides in an effort to capture this moment on film.

His smile dropped and a blank expression set in on Suho's face all of a sudden. The boy cleared his throat and focused his gaze on his shoes. Yoon-ah felt a momentary twinge of regret. He may have understood her silence as displeasure over his unexpected warmth, when it was quite the opposite in reality.

She should have spoken up. Said something; anything to reassure him that she wasn't averse to his companionship- a revelation that would have been shocking to her maybe even two weeks ago.

A flicker of reluctance crossed Suho's face.

"Thank you for today," he said after a moment.

His voice was so low that Yoon-ah barely caught his words. "What did you just say?"

"Quit it." Suho's lips lifted in a smile. "I know you heard me just fine the first time."

He stepped back from the door, lingering on the porch stairs. There was a sense of hesitation on his part, which Yoon-ah shared. Her day had been much more enjoyable than she had imagined.

The first memories she had of Suho were vague. He had been at the school, top of his class even when she had joined a few years ago. There used to be something charming about the boy, and he was much friendlier, although he was still notorious for his gruffness. He was supposed to show her around the school. Perhaps the two would've been friends if Soojin had not overtaken his responsibilities in a curious twist of fate.

Yoon-ah idly wondered what their friendship might have been like if they'd lived in another universe, perhaps in a different time. It would have been nice if they could've chosen to enjoy each other's company voluntarily instead of being forced into it by unexpected circumstances. Wistfulness so strong swept through her, she felt a bit dizzy.

"It's time for you to go, isn't it?" Her voice was softer than usual.

Suho wrinkled his brows. "I believe so. It's pretty late."

A quick chirp from his jacket pocket ended their conversation before Yoon-ah could say any more. Suho pulled out his phone, frowning.

"Has Jukyung finally confessed her undying love to you? "