Chapter Ten: Counter-Attack (Part Two)

Subaru still remembered the day of the invasion...

The sight of Rem, bloodied and bruised, yet standing with her weapon in hand.

The horn on her head, burning bright pink with violent energy.

—In the distance, the growls of Mabeasts became more apparent, as Subaru and his entourage progressed deeper into the forest.

As the guttural noises grew louder and louder, Subaru felt a hand on his shoulder. He stopped, turning to the person in question.

Rem, with a gentle smile and rosy cheeks —

Rem did not restrain herself, baring teeth and glaring with intense fervor as she mowed down each beast, one by one.

It wouldn't be long, until Rem bared her fangs towards Subaru, and a barely-conscious Ramthe duo that was desperate enough to bring Rem back to her senses.

"Please, excuse me." Rem brushed past Subaru, her Morningstar trailing just behind her. Subaru gave the girl a curt nod, as he watched her get into position.

Following suit was Emilia, as she stood right next to Subaru... before outstretching her hands,

"I've got your back, Rem!" She gave a bold declaration, as Rem picked her weapon up.

Seeing Rem as a threat, the Mabeasts lash out—

It was a mess, trying to avoid both beast and maid. It took everything Subaru had, to salvage a happy ending from that moment.

Subaru's fists tightened, as he watched Rem move—

*PCKSHHHH! ! !*

—An cleave through two of the three beasts in their way, with the last one narrowly escaping certain death.

However, before said beast could touch the ground—

"Huma!" Emilia exclaimed!

*Thnk—Thnk, thnk!*

Three icicles intruded itself into the beast's ribcage, effectively killing it.

"Good job..." Puck spoke, with a certain distaste as he watched his daughter kill the Mabeast.

It truly was a miracle he came out of that moment alive, yet... A part of him wished he could've done more. Wished he could've done better.

A rustle, as more dogs ran towards the group—this time towards Subaru, Emilia, and Puck.

"How rude, I suppose!"

—Only to be cut by blades of wind, and shards of encased mana; Minya.

The dogs fall flat on the ground, as Subaru turns to Beatrice and Ram, the air around both of them charged with mana.