Chapter Five: Trust

*Knock Knock*

"Subaru?"

Subaru's melancholy was interrupted by Emilia, walking into the room with a concerned look,

"Is everything alright? I heard from Ram and Rem, you weren't doing so good..."

"Emilia..." Subaru lifts his hand off his face, trying to mock up a convincing smile, "It's nothing. Just a bad dream I had... S-sorry for worrying you."

Hearing him choke up, Emilia narrows her eyebrows,

"Please don't be coy with me, I can tell something's wrong." she speaks softly yet firmly.

Subaru shakes his head, chuckling a bit to save face,

"Really, you shouldn't fuss over this. You've got plenty on your plate, too —"

Before Subaru could continue saying any more, she marches forward and sits on his bed,

"The only thing I need to do today is to report to Roswaal when he returns. That means I have plenty of time to give you a hand, as you've given yours helping me."

As Emilia explains her reason for helping him, Subaru could only watch Emilia, seeing her eyes shine with genuine worry. The boy is only reminded of why he fell in love with her in the first place,

Making excuses for her concern, just so he didn't feel bad. It was just like when she saved him from the thugs, in his very first life...

"Alright, got it," Subaru sighs, earning the attention of the half-elf, as he looks at Emilia with an apologetic look,

"What I'm about to ask is very selfish, so please don't look at it the wrong way. However, I know it's something only you can do..."

"'Selfish'? Uhm..." A flash of worry came over Emilia's features, but she shook it off right away, "No, nevermind. What do you need me to do, Subaru?"

"Emilia..." Subaru's look was intense, showing how serious he was...

"Please tell Rem... to avoid getting close to me, as much as possible—Just for a few days!"

"...Huh?" Emilia blinks. Subaru continues,

"Remember what I said last night? How she reminds me of someone very close to me?" he asks. Emilia, remembering how he reacted to seeing Rem the first time, nods.

Subaru looks away, "I ended up having a dream of that very same person again. It wasn't pleasant, not even in the slightest."

Just remembering Rem, in her cathartic state before he went back to Zero, was enough to make a face of deep regret. Seeing this, Emilia had no reason not to believe him.