Chapter Six: Means

(Author's Note: This story is being dual-uploaded here, and on Fanfiction.net! Artwork and additional media will be presented in this story to add towards its presentation. If you like the story, please continue supporting it by favoriting and following me!)

"How unsightly of you, Barusu."

Subaru stirs awake, hearing the voice of Ram make her biting comments as usual. Groggily, he peels his face off the hardwood floor—not sure how he found himself there in the first place.

"Nnn... Ram? What..." He rubs his face, trying to wipe off the sluggishness he was feeling, "...What time is it?"

"A quarter-to-twelve o' clock." Ram says this with eyes closed, before glaring at him,

"Would you have slept the whole morning, had I not come to chime in, I do wonder how Roswaal-sama would've reacted." She then shakes her head, "Keeping you as an 'honored guest.' Don't make me laugh."

"..." Subaru, keen on just how toxic these comments were getting, gives her an apologetic look,

"You're mad about what I did to Rem, aren't you?" He asks.

"—Tch!" Ram clicks her tongue in annoyance, giving Subaru the hint that he was correct.

She whips around toward the door, "Don't be late for brunch. You're already testing my nerves as it is."

"Right..." Subaru nods.

Then he blinks.

"Wait... 'brunch?'" Ram doesn't answer the ambiguous question, shutting the door on Subaru—

"Mm—*chu*"

Subaru jolts straight up, feeling the foreign feeling of lips pressed on his cheek, as he whips around to his left to see —

["G'morning, Subaru-kun."] Satella speaks to him cutely, a warm blush on her face.

["Sa-satella-tan, you kinda shocked me for a sec."] Subaru held a hand over his heart, his own face burning red, ["I wasn't expecting you to be so... forward."]

["Just testing the waters, after what happened last night."] Satella's voice was ringing with mirth, however Subaru felt himself shrink in shame.

["...Oh God, I wish I didn't remember... I'm sure I was just whining, like a little kid..."] Subaru hides his face in his hands, feeling embarrassed as hell.

["And? What's wrong with wanting a happy ending?"] Satella reaches out to pull his hands down, ["Don't feel bad, Subaru-kun! Feel proud! Take a breath, puff out your chest, and scream to the world, 'I want to make everything right, again!'"]